Dell Precision mobo

kelfo

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008
Hello guys,

I have inherited an old Dell Precision 530 that was going to be thrown away. The machine had suffered some trauma and wouldn't start. When I opened it up, I found that someone had removed the RAM and the inside bits were very hard to detach (though the Dell online guide makes it seem easy).

I ended up removing it entirely from the case and stuck in a pair of RIMMs and CRIMMs. The mobo is attached to a "front panel" which is attached to a "power button board".

When I turned on the mains power, the fans and mobo lights turned on. My optical mouse also lit up. However pressing the power button has no effect. The diagnostic lights show an error code that isn't in the Dell manual.

The graphics card works in another machine, so it's not that.

Anyone know something more about this mobo, and any ideas on how to get it to boot? Or is it a gone case?

Thanks.

marcellis22

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
A four+ year old computer/motherboard won't boot, displaying an undiagnosable error code...gee...I'd waste more time on it...are you setting up a museum or do you want a computer to actually perform some modern activities?

kelfo

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008
Well, this is for a charity and it only needs to run IE and Word.
However you're probably right and I should just sell off the usable bits and wait for another donation or something.