kickme21

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
I am looking at the fastest/lost power usage I can get. I basicaly want to build a HTPC that will play Blue ray films run 2 VMware systems (hardly used I might add) but get away with the least amount of power used. HDMI is a must with HCDP.

I was looking at a x4850e AMD proc with ether the Gigabyte GA MA78GM-S2H or a Jetway JNC62K.

I have two questions really.

1) What board will use the least amount of power?
2) Is AMD really the best way to go?

The Jetway seems to use less power although the mail downside will be 1 DDR2 slot.

I only want sound to go to my amp which takes optical of SPDF (what ever the abeviastion is), have HDMI and play movies to my TV. I know I can't have an ATOM Wattage machine with power of a gaming machine but I want a place in the middle that will do what I need. As gaming is not required I am hopping that the kit above will do what is needed.

If anyone does have power usage from their rigs please post them thanks.

Thank for any imput.

typerazor

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
Anyone else got input??

Looks like intel still can't compeate with an AMD solution for HTPC.

from what i have been seeing (im building a massive home server/entertainment system) amd is much easier to work with if you just want a single htpc since they have graphic cards that have hdmi, tuner and all in one.
also, amd will be cheaper to go with but its not really going to use less power than intel.
just my 2 cents