hphvd

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008
I've bought a new PC one month ago. Everytime I turn on or turn off the light in the room, my PC run abnormally. example: automatically shutdown (like using Turn Off), open My Computer, disable toolbars (while run utorrent), open Window Media Player,and more. I've tried many times so I'm pretty sure about it. I've scanned for virusses and spywares. I think the problem may be PSU, mainboard or my optical mouse (respond with the light). My PC's configuration: CPU Intel E8400, mainboard GIGABYTE EP45-DS3, RAM Kingmax 2 x 1.0GB bus 1066MHz, HDD Seagate 320GB, VGA Inno3D 9800GT 512MB, PSU CoolerMaster 600W, keyboard+mouse Logitech G1. How do I fix this problem?
Sorry because English's not my mother tongue.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
if it has to do with turning the light on, then its a power problem. Thats the only way that those to things could possible be related.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
LOL.

Yep, if it only happens when you are using the lights, it's definitely an electrical problem in your home. It may be that you're pulling too much power on one circuit.

If it's not that, then it may be that your PSU cannot handle the power fluctuations that you are causing.

That's a strange one.

bilbat

Splendid
Try replacing the room bulb with a CFL (compact flourescent light) - it'll use 20-25% of the power, and doesn't have a high 'inrush', or start-up current. If you measure the resistance of a standard tungsten filament bulb, and apply Ohm's Law, it'll calculate out to ten or twenty times the wattage actually listed ON the bulb! This is because the tungsten filament has a very low cold resistance, which jumps up rapidly as it heats up to the point of incandescence - this means that, for a 60hZ cycle or two (or even, maybe, a half-cycle - I'd have to look it up) there is a current 'spike' that is probably taking down your PSU, especially if the building wiring is old, or marginal to begin with. I'd also e-mail CoolerMaster about this, because, IMHO, a good switching power supply should have enough 'ride-through' to handle a situation like this without dropping any of its outputs enough for the MOBO to see it... Do you have anything else on this circuit? Mind you, it probably covers more than one room - pull the fuse/flip the breaker, and note what goes off; then, try to move some of the other loads to a different circuit...

Good luck,

Bill