VGA to DVI converter Question

astroboy0969

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
Just want to post this question up since the other thread is dead..

*Using VGA to DVI converter to connect my Samsung 920NW to my Graphics Card with only DVI port?*

Is there gonna be a latency in using that? My concern is instead of connecting directly my LCD monitor to the DVI port in my graphics Card, the signal must have to travel inside the converter.. The response time of the Samsung 920NW is 5m, will the converter affect that or increase the "ms" of that?

Will there be a loss of quality?
Will there be a loss of speed?

Thank you in advance!!

^_______^

Has nothing to do with it.

The delay would be measured in pico or nano seconds at best (might even be femto or atto seconds), and wouldn't matter one bit to the response time of your monitor which has to do with the twisting properties of the LCD transistors which are only 5ms in PR land not the real world.

No noticeable change to anything. If the connection is a poor fit, then it would be like anything else where poor fits work poorly, but as long as no parts are defective, then it won't matter one bit.

jawshoeaw

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008

Don't think attoseconds is likely - that's the timescale used to measure how long it takes for example a photon or electrical impulse to cross the enormous distance of say an atom. The time it would take an electrical impulse to travel the extra cm in the converter would be .01m divided by c or 3E8 m/s. so nanoseconds (electrical impulses are actually slower than light but still nanoseconds)

This is probably no different than someone using a longer cable on their monitor, but the real answer is that it doesn't matter since all the data coming through your cable is slowed down about the same. It could be slowed down a tenth of a second and your monitor couldn't care less. Your gameplay might suffer though. :)

astroboy0969

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008

Is this valid guys? Please enlighten me more!! Thanks!!

No its not really relevant to you just astroboy0969 being clever :kaola: if probably accurate.

What it comes down to is that the connector wont change anything from your or your hardwares point of view as far as operating speeds/quality go. There will be some latency but what APE and astroboy0969 are saying is that the amount of latency isnt as much time wise as it takes your screen to refresh, so net result no change.

Mactronix

astroboy0969

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
So, there will be no really noticeable changes in the display?

What if I want to play games such as Need for Speed Underground or Most wanted? Will there be a frame skip or lagging/ latency on the screen?

My apologies for my earlier post i copied the wrong name in i meant jawshoeaw was being clever :kaola: if probably accurate. not yourself. :whistle:

Anyway there is no way 100% guaranteed that the connector (bar it being faulty) can possably cause enough latency to effect what you see on the screen. Any skipping/lagging would be down to the actual hardware in your computer, CPU or GPU usually.
Do you have these problems already or are you just checking out the possability ?
Is this a new monitor ? in which case it would make no differance. Or is it a new computer or graphics card ? in which case there could be problems which we could possably help with if you gave us a full list of system specs.

Mactronix

Yes I know, I was being a little facetious with the Femto and Atto, but I was talking about the 2 interface connections transitions across the surfaces, not the length of the cable which would vary as well of course, but the overall effect of which would be like you mention, less than using a 3 ft cable instead of 6ft for that distance. The time to travel that distance of 5-6cm adapter would be 2.0 x 10e-10s ~ 200 pico seconds or 0.2 nanoseconds (assuming a propagation speed of 99.97% C for electrons over copper although it does depend on current as well, etc).

The main thing of course being the imapct in the transmission time would be so low on the scale of as X approaches 0 kind of consideration where it's only noticeable in the discussion of theory, not the practice of viewing, and would have no impact on the 5ms number he's considering.

astroboy0969

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008

I noticed that also! Haha! It will be a new LCD monitor and a GPU! I'm gonna get my new computer this saturday! So I'm very anxious about the compatibility of the hardwares!!

Its a Samsung 920NW and a 9600 GT GPU! The 9600 don't have a AGP port so that's my big problem.. Huhu..

Can you please answer this? "
What if I want to play games such as Need for Speed Underground or Most wanted? Will there be a frame skip or lagging/ latency on the screen?"

@greatgrapeape

So the latency won't be a problem? It will be a brand new LCD monitor with a VGA connector..

astroboy0969

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
@jaydeejohn

What do you mean?

@ TGGape

What do you mean by this " from a new anything X numbers are defective right out of the factory. "

Thanks guys!!

Yeah I just meant, regardless of whatever precautions you take, nothing's perfect so there's a chance of failure from the moment it's fabricated. I probably should've added a comma to my statement originally, but was just quick typing, so for clarity it would be;

"..only problem you could have, would be the same you would have from a new anything, X numbers are defective right out of the factory."

Just wanted to get the point accross, there's nothing wrong with the combination you're picking, but there's no guarantee of no problems, because everything has a risk of defects.

astroboy0969

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
But in case of defects I can complain and request for a product replacement?

And as far as I know, when you buy parts such as monitor/LCD you can test run it for a while to see if it has defects?

Thanks guys for the response!!