Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Samsung Spinpoint F3 1tb consitent hum/vibration

Last response: in Storage
January 12, 2010 3:43:09 PM

Want to hear from those that have a Samsung Spinpoint f3 hdd. Is it quiet or do you hear any constant and consistent noise?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I recently installed this hdd and noticed a slight vibration on my desk as well as a faint hum coming from the tower. I unplugged the samsung and rebooted to see if the noise would disappear and it did. I want to stress it is quite faint but when it is doing it I can't help but notice it. The frequency of the noise/vibration is about 1 second or less.

I'm leaning toward RMA but I wanted to get an idea if this is typical for this model, my older WD hdd doesn't do this so my experience is that this is not normal.

btw this is just a 2nd drive for backup purposes only.
January 26, 2010 6:55:35 PM

Hello,

I just installedt Samsung SpinPoint F3 500Gb an noticed the same hum in about 1sec intervals (waving in and out) and would also like to know if this is normal?? Also using padded antivibration screws but no difference. Thank you.
January 26, 2010 9:42:08 PM

Thanks for reply, glad to know it isn't just me.

I did rma the spinpoint and got a replacement. Before sending the first one back I installed the 2nd new one to confirm if it had the same noise. It did. I haven't sent the first or either back yet, its due back to Samsung by 2-10-10.

I think Im going to keep the original and just live with it, but I'm still debating.

What are you going to do Simbutt?

Related resources
January 27, 2010 6:35:35 AM

Thank you. I guess this is normal sound then (after reading your experience 4trees)

This is my primary disk and after listening this hum for an hour or two it gets really annoying.

Think of going back to WD (Caviar greeen or blue very silent??so they say) and use the Samsung as backup.
It is funny actually - I bought WD Caviar black two weeks ago but it was very loud when seeking and tracking so I replaced it with Spinpoint.

No luck for me.... :) ))
January 27, 2010 9:18:51 AM

"It is funny actually - I bought WD Caviar black two weeks ago but it was very loud when seeking and tracking so I replaced it with Spinpoint. "

that is what gets me too, the spinpoint in Tom's charts is well under the WD black in decibels and right above the WD green. If the WD black is louder than this then people have a very high tolerance.

Ive got felt pads and 1/2 inch layer of foam under all 4 of my legs to my case and the vibration still carries through the desk.

I dont want to give up the spinpoint because it does so well in benchmarks versus other alternatives. But I don't see how its possible to keep this in my system I know it will be aggravating me for years to come.
January 27, 2010 7:09:07 PM

Update.

I just bought a WD 1tb black from Microcenter. Installed it and have had it running for 3 hours. Sounds quiet to me. I don't hear anything to be honest (the spinpoint is unplugged). Im going to run it the rest of the day and night and monitor the sounds it makes. At this time I think im going to keep the black despite its lower benchmark scores, they aren't bad anyway. I don't know how Tom's review has the black louder than the spinpoint, because from my limited experience it isnt even audible where as the spinpoint is humming at 1 sec frequency.

This is frustrating as all heck.

How was your WD black loud? I wish I could find a couple other reviews of the spinpoint with people indicating the same experience as you and I. Its got to be a common hardware issue though, Ive checked 2 of them and youve got yours. I would be more optimistic if I hadnt ordered a second spinpoint and found the same results, but 3 out of 3 having this problem is disconcerting.

Best solution

January 28, 2010 4:24:47 PM

My WD black 500 Gb is loud when writing or reading (similar scratching noise like older 5400 drives).

About spinpoint I think this is common issue - but I guess for majority not so disturbing (probably not so noticable with daytime background noises in the room/office).
I will also try it with none of the 2 case fans (12 cm) running - maybe a resonanting issue.

Will let you know if any changes.
January 28, 2010 6:24:42 PM

ya mine was partly due to resonance. changed the case weight balance and add a rubber on a corner. worked for me.
February 1, 2010 9:37:45 PM

Thank God, I found this thread. I recently bought the very same model and I was afraid that my drive is faulty or something. Seems that this is no longer the case.

Quote:
ya mine was partly due to resonance. changed the case weight balance and add a rubber on a corner. worked for me.

I may have the exact same problem with you. See, when my PC case is open, there is no noise/vibration but when I put back the side covers the noise resonates and it gets really audible. How can I solve this? Got any suggestions?
February 2, 2010 12:11:00 PM

darkan said:
Thank God, I found this thread. I recently bought the very same model and I was afraid that my drive is faulty or something. Seems that this is no longer the case.

Quote:

I may have the exact same problem with you. See, when my PC case is open, there is no noise/vibration but when I put back the side covers the noise resonates and it gets really audible. How can I solve this? Got any suggestions?

I got a few pc cases where the side panel is not tightly latched/secured, leaving a tiny gap that ~~ just so quietly ~~ rattle & hummmmm. drove me crazy

Cut'd a tiny piece of rubbery non-slip mat that ppl usually place above their car dashboard, and stick it under the case corner - where the side panel touches the floor.
February 2, 2010 12:34:13 PM

Mine makes the same noise. It sounds almost as if the drive has constant activity, even though it clearly doesn't when I use performance manager. I was able to get rid of some of the hum by placing some padding under each corner of the case, but it still makes a pretty annoying, very light grinding/vibrating noise.
February 2, 2010 3:38:29 PM

I was about to order one of these but it's for going inside of an iMac which is a nearly completely silent computer. The fact that it makes no noticeable noise is one of the things I like most about the machine, so want new hd to be quiet too.

Are the F3s quiet or not? Any people here who have found their F3s to be nice and quiet hds? In other words, are these reports of more noise than other comparable drives more the exception or the rule?
February 2, 2010 5:55:43 PM

@4trees

im having the same exact issues right now i just bought a F3 spinpoint and when i first installed it 1 week ago No vibration and was VERY Quiet well things have turned. When i woke up i noticed the drive had some pretty serious vibration going on

right now the drive Vibrates my case, Items on my desk. I tryed to do the Bungee trick (hanging it in Mod air) but it still vibrates my case bad.

i just ordered a 750GB Western digital Black so hopefully that will fix it. Why do hard drived develop this vibration does that mean its going bad?

Right now i got both sides off my case and the front panel and a towel over my case and my desk still vibrates

I did this Little mod until my new HDD comes in tomorrow. i used heavy duty rubber bands/ no more vibration at all
http://xona.com/2006/08/02.html
February 4, 2010 3:43:13 PM

I've got this drive, and while I don't necessarily hear the consistent hum, I do hear a rather loud "click" when it first powers up. My Seagate 500GB doesn't do anything similar to that, so I'm just curious if this is a symptom of a larger driver, and if any of you have experienced a similar sound?
February 9, 2010 1:23:18 PM

4lc4pon3 said:
@4trees

im having the same exact issues right now i just bought a F3 spinpoint and when i first installed it 1 week ago No vibration and was VERY Quiet well things have turned. When i woke up i noticed the drive had some pretty serious vibration going on

right now the drive Vibrates my case, Items on my desk. I tryed to do the Bungee trick (hanging it in Mod air) but it still vibrates my case bad.

i just ordered a 750GB Western digital Black so hopefully that will fix it. Why do hard drived develop this vibration does that mean its going bad?

Right now i got both sides off my case and the front panel and a towel over my case and my desk still vibrates

I did this Little mod until my new HDD comes in tomorrow. i used heavy duty rubber bands/ no more vibration at all
http://xona.com/2006/08/02.html

Thanks for the helpful case mod link. I was considering doing something like that myself but I decided I didn't want to settle for these results and make the f3 work, the darn thing should work out of the box not with modding needed. These purchases I'm making are going to be my primary system for several years to come and I'd rather not start out on the wrong foot.
My previous concern of getting the lower performing WD black is over, its doing fine obviously and a new SSD for OS and gaming will be a good upgrade in year or so when pricing and volume is more reasonable.

Thanks everyone for replying. I think this is an important issue that hasn't been addressed adequately anywhere on the web. Hopefully others will at least find this thread and be aware of the issue when buying the spinpoint.
I have to say, if my tower wasn't on my desk, it probably wouldn't have been as annoying.
February 9, 2010 2:11:25 PM

Does anyone know anything about when the next low-cost 500GB/platter hd might be coming out?

The reason I was interested in the F3 is that it seems to be the only 500GB/platter hd available for less than ~300 (the 2TB WD and Seagate models).

I really only need 1TB but I would buy something larger if it was <$200.

Anyone know anything about when some more 500GB/platter drives might be coming out? I don't want one of these F3s after heraing about these noise problems.
February 12, 2010 11:31:12 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=2...

Almost every review (whether they're professional or just buyer comments) mention how quiet their F3 is - so I don't know. It really is the only option I've been left with and I do love my F1, so it's probably worth taking the plunge.

If I'd have to guess I'd say most people have no issue and have lovely silent F3s (based on the dozens of good reviews), but something about this model doesn't play well with the acoustics of select cases and causes this hum. And of course the minority with the hum are the only ones who are going to check forums and post about it.
February 12, 2010 8:48:40 PM

I replaced a 400GB Seagate 7200.10 with an F3 500GB. It is much quieter and faster. I am very happy. The Seagate was noticeably noisier than my case fans when running and quiet when not. The Samsung F3 is quiet enough my case fans cover the noise even when its running. My case is an Antec 900 (seems that specific cases are relevant maybe).

I think Tir is right that is and acoustic resonance issue with only some cases.
February 15, 2010 11:20:49 PM

Hello i have this HD and I am thinking last models have problems... I noticed same issues with noise and run tests in HDD Tune Pro... I had made a RMA with my seller and they changes it.

New one and old have same issue... Noise sometimes with HD Activity and noise during this tests...

I will show the screens old one and new:

Old model (Made RMA and seller accepted) HD Tune PRO (2 test):

HD Tach:

Look at these minimun speeds seems HD doesn´t work well at the big changes, more noise.

New model have same issues it come to me today:

HD Tune:

HD Tach:

Where do you buy your HD?? I bough mine in Spain 11/01/2010 and this come today.

Sorry for my english i am very bad with it hope that you can understad me...

And thank you this is my first message in this forum.

Greetings.
February 16, 2010 12:14:11 PM

Nobody wants share his opinion about this minimums??? What more test i should make for get sure that is a HD with issues?
February 26, 2010 12:23:04 AM

Best answer selected by 4trees.
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
a b G Storage
March 21, 2010 5:57:44 AM

I bought the Spinpoint F3 1tb due to good reviews. Installed it on an XP Media Center system which turned out a bit tricky since you have to do some funky stuff to make it work on an older OS. Now my normally quiet system has the alternating hum mentioned here. At first I thought my ceiling fan was on cause it has a similar hum... but it wasn't which only leaves the Samsung drive. Kinda disappointing. I just got it for backup and really don't want to listen to noise when I'm not using it. Outside of unplugging it when not in use I haven't found any way to resolve the issue. Any suggestions other than buying another drive?
March 22, 2010 5:28:58 PM

Quote:
I bought the Spinpoint F3 1tb due to good reviews. Installed it on an XP Media Center system which turned out a bit tricky since you have to do some funky stuff to make it work on an older OS. Now my normally quiet system has the alternating hum mentioned here. At first I thought my ceiling fan was on cause it has a similar hum... but it wasn't which only leaves the Samsung drive. Kinda disappointing. I just got it for backup and really don't want to listen to noise when I'm not using it. Outside of unplugging it when not in use I haven't found any way to resolve the issue. Any suggestions other than buying another drive?

Read some of the posts above, a couple have some ideas on modifying your case to reduce the hum/noise.

I rma'd mine. I didn't want to go through the hassle of modding my case to fix a brand new hdd. Trust me, i sympathize with you. I was looking forward to having the f3 but now im happy with the WD 1tb black. Its been working smoothly and it is plenty quiet for me.
April 18, 2010 7:48:57 PM

My Spinpoint (HD321KJ) is making this cycling hum. It vibrates in and out at about 1 second intervals. It's been in my old system for about a year (mounted horizontally) and absolutely silent. I've just moved it to my brand new Dell Vostro tower as a backup disc. In the Dell it's mounted vertically.

At first I thought I was heading to a Dell warranty fix because I thought it was the fans working against each other. Today I opened it up and traced the vibration to the Spinpoint.

I can alter the noise by adjusting the 4 fixing screws. It's much reduced by leaving the lower right hand screw slightly loose.

But it's not fixed. I have added sound deadening but you can feel it through the desk.
I'm assuming it's the platter out of balance. In a horizontal fitting it's ok but in the vertical, gravity adds to the problem.

Surely Samsung know about this!
June 15, 2010 3:33:56 AM

This thread was extremely useful to me. When I bought this drive and installed it I immediately noticed the vibrations and hummings but after reading I soften all the screws and it helped a lot, I've yet to add any materials to see if they will dampen the vibrations. A friend suggested cardboard and just screwing over it to see if it would help, I haven't tried it yet so I don't know how effective it can be.

I contacted Samsung via e-mail and this is what the wrote:

Quote:
Dear Customer,

In reference to your HDD issue, The sign that you feel the Virbration and humming is normal.

Since your HDD is running at very high speed rpm it cause to have vibration and humming.

But if you heard like a noise sound like tick tack or clicking sound , thats the sign of physical internal malfuction.

Hope this would help your quiry from us.

Thank you for choosing Samsung.
June 22, 2010 3:10:25 AM

I've got exactly the same noise coming from my Samsung HD103SJ 1TB. I have just received a replacement only to confirm the same noise. I am now thinking of calling Samsung to ask if they can replace it with a model in which (hopefully) they have rectified the problem. The hum is a nightmare. It is soft but reverberates though the whole house upstairs, downstairs.
July 15, 2010 9:56:28 AM

Case = NZXT.
Samsung HD103UJ 1000GB

Chose the Samsung based upon reviews but similar issues to those reported here. Constant low pitch oscillating hum that just seems to vibrate through every thing, really noticable at night from different rooms.

I spent a fair amount of time tyring to quieten with little success. Seemed worse when other drives in the same case but it was the primary case.

internal hard drive enclosures
rubber mounts
even elastic suspension, thought that would do the trick but no somehow vibration still transfered to chasis. Not as bad though but bad enough.

I suspect case design has an influence, with the sides off noise is down but sides are imported for airflow so thats was practical.

Eventually replaced with WD caviar green. Slower but quiet was the priority.
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
a b G Storage
October 21, 2010 1:26:14 AM

I purchased a couple of spinpoint F4 drives for my new build. At first I thought I was crazy. It took me awhile to pinpoint the noise, but it's the same as others. I have a couple of Seagates in another machine and I always thought they were noisy. Whenever they're active, you here clicky click, but that doesn't bother me. These F4s with the constant hum-hum-hum is enough to drive you crazy. It's like water being dripped on my forehead. I think when people say these drives are quite, they're talking about when the drive are active (you really can't hear that) It's the vibration they make from the disc spinning that makes me say: "I'm sending them back"
October 21, 2010 12:50:37 PM

doverkan69 said:
Hello i have this HD and I am thinking last models have problems... I noticed same issues with noise and run tests in HDD Tune Pro... I had made a RMA with my seller and they changes it.

New one and old have same issue... Noise sometimes with HD Activity and noise during this tests...

I will show the screens old one and new:

Old model (Made RMA and seller accepted) HD Tune PRO (2 test):

]http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/7424/ultimohdtune.png

]http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/9886/capturahdtunebenchmarkl.png

HD Tach:

]http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3397/hdtachtest.png

Look at these minimun speeds seems HD doesn´t work well at the big changes, more noise.

New model have same issues it come to me today:

HD Tune:

]http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/6573/capturahdtune40.th.png

HD Tach:

]http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/8798/hdtach3captura.png

Where do you buy your HD?? I bough mine in Spain 11/01/2010 and this come today.

Sorry for my english i am very bad with it hope that you can understad me...

And thank you this is my first message in this forum.

Greetings.

Your graphs are pretty consitent with mine are you using one fo those gadgets to onitor HDD temperature trough frecvent SMART reading.

I'd recomend to see my thread here http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=t...

Maybe you hav ethe same problem maybe not but its worth a look.
January 28, 2011 6:36:07 PM

Wow im happy I found this thread. I too have the same humming vibration coming from my Samsung 1tb F3 drive. I was seriously considering a RMA but after reading this thread its good to know its common amongst these drives. I have this drive in my machine upstairs and the humming sound can be heard from the lower level of my house. Its not really loud, but if your sitting in a silent room your can hear the faint 1 sec interval hums. I think I will eventually sell this drive and get a 1.5tb Western Digital because this humming sound can get pretty annoying when browsing the web late at night. I will try to run the Samsung ES Tool provided in the post above and see if that helps.
January 28, 2011 6:50:57 PM

Ok so I just got finished running the ES Tool and set the AAM to quiet and man did it help ALOT! I can still hear the faint hum, but its much better than before! Thanks bnot for the helpful information!
February 1, 2011 1:42:14 AM

Probably so, but I only use this drive for storage so its no biggie. I still plan on replacing it with a 2TB Seagate, but turning on the AAM made the drive more tolerable.
February 1, 2011 8:33:26 PM

MY SOLUTION

I just fixed a deep noise / hum / drone / vibration with my Samsung F3 too.

This is how I did it:

I got a few sheets of BUBBLE WRAP and put my computer on top of it. The bubbles absorb all of the vibration so now I cannot hear a thing!!

It was a real problem, a very deep but audible sound. Even my flatmates were complaining about it! This bubble wrap fix has solved the issue completely.

I hope this has helped someone!!
February 11, 2011 9:15:06 PM

Another F3 owner here, 500gig version, my hum started today, unbelievably irritating. I've tried a lot of in-case vibration killers, rubber HDD screw mounts, rubber on the case door corners yackidy yack, all made zero difference! But this answer is great, I shoved some packaging material under the PC and the hum has reduced more than anything I've tried so far, it's still there though, but it's helped.

Very disappointed as the reviews for this drive were fantastic and my experience has been great for the last 6 months or so of owning it until today, I think I'll end up selling it. Big fan of Samsung products in general so feel pretty let down by this one, everyone makes mistakes though.
May 13, 2011 9:27:47 PM

Disappointing to read about these humming issues still affecting Samsung drives. I have something like four year old 200 gb Samsung hard drive and it's practically unusable because of the hum and resonating it produces. Nothing but a source of annoyance. Of course it's been in the closet for years now, wouldn't even wanna sell it to anyone.
June 5, 2011 11:01:57 PM

I'd like to add my experiences with this 'acoustic' issue from some Samsung HDDs, in my case, the Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB model.

I have at least two of these specific models, maybe more, in multiple builds, and I like these Samsung drives a bunch.

For me, the acoustic issue was a hum or more accurately, a tone, that 'waves' in and out, in about 1 second time frames...continuously. It is a specific tone/frequency (someone with perfect-pitch could nail it down) that has the ability to drive you insane if your working quietly.

I have determined that for my builds, the hum/tone can be greatly reduced or in some cases, eliminated completely, by the internal case mounting techniques and orientation.

When I first installed a new Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB in my latest build within an Antec P183 V3 case, the annoying tone was very obvious. In this Antec case (designed and marketed for quiet operation) are two HDD cages, the recomended lower cage in the power supply compartment for up to 4, 3.5inch HDDs in vertical orientation, and a second (horizontally mounted) cage for SSDs (or HDDs) in the main MB compartment. Four very soft silicone grommets cushion between each HDD and the mounting cages, the special mounting screws attach to the HDD through the silicone grommets. The very noticable hum/tone from the HDD was completely eliminated by a bit more tightening down of the HDD mounting screws, to compress the silicone grommets just a tad more than when first mounted. I believe I erred by not tightening them down enough...the drive was too loose in the cage...also I insured the second time the drive was a true vertical - 90 degrees.

From the Antec manual...Don’t over-tighten the screws as this will reduce the vibration and noise dampening ability of the silicone grommets. I found the "just-right spots" in mounting screw and grommet tension/compression on my second attempt at mounting the HDD. The tone is absolutely gone.

Previously, I'd only heard these hums/tones faintly from the Samsung HDDs I've installed. This latest experience convinces me to consider altering HDD orientation and mounting parameters before RMAing a HDD exhibiting these acoustic anomalies. That may be all that's required to solve the issue.

[As a side note, I had a very similar annoying acoustic issue with a Cavalry CAUM37320 320GB External HDD, that sits vertically on my desk in its supplied plactic table stand, but now on top of a couple of folds of non-supplied, randomly selected bubble-wrap, that keeps it quiet!]

Hope this helps!

:) 
September 23, 2011 2:25:06 AM

Its been a while since I checked out this thread. Seems like a lot of you have experienced the same issue so clearly we are not being overly critical with this vibration. Samsung has confirmed problem here. Im glad most of you have concluded with a solution, that's good news. For me, Im sticking to Western Digital despite the slightly lesser specs.

4trees
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
a b G Storage
February 20, 2012 6:43:17 PM

I have similar problem.

Originally, I had Samsung drive (HD103SJ, 1TB, 7200 rpm) and my computer was pretty quiet. Today I bought WD (WD10EALX, 1TB, 7200 rpm) and after installation a humming began appearing and disappearing roughly once per second. Firstly I thought WD is source of the noise. But after removing it from the rack and holding it loosely in the hand (connected) it was quietly working. I repeated this with Samsung - the same result: Samsung worked quietly when held in the hand.

Explanation is obvious - resonance between both disks. Theoretically, if disk A has frequency of the vibrations 7200 Hz and disk B 7201 Hz, then humming with frequency 1 Hz will appear with the loudness being the sum of the original two frequencies.

Therefore it is not problem of the disk, but the combination of them.
The computer box should be made to solve it, but typical boxes are far from this.

The solution is problematic - try to not fasten the disks to the rack to isolate them from each other.
I put one of the disks on the pieces of rubber - humming is significantly weaker, but I still hear it.
!