Sign in with
Your question

PC failing to boot at all -- no beeps, no nothin'

Last response: in Components
October 29, 2008 8:00:04 PM

My PC has always been a bit of a bitch: the PSU cables weren't quite long enough, so it was a stretch to fit them into the motherboard. Sometimes, when turned on it'll simply sit there, turned on but doing nothing. I can hear the hard drive and dvd drive spin up to speed, but the screen remains blank and there's no POST beeps. Today, I bought a PSU cable extension, fitted it all properly, and tada! Black screen, and nothing happens. It's almost like the extra 4 pin part isn't seated right, but I even taped it down into the extension cable to make sure it was tight. Right now I'm at a loss for what to do, since 'jiggle the cable around a bit' isn't the most scientific thing to do.

Specs:
520W OCZ PSU
Asus P5W DH deluxe
Intel E6600
Nvidia 7950GT
2GB Corsair dominator RAM
October 29, 2008 8:05:47 PM

Surgery can you get your hands on another psu.also do any of the fans in the pc run.
October 29, 2008 8:08:29 PM

Err..yeah, I think so. I'll nip down to my old dear's house and ask to use her's. I'll let you know in a few minutes.
Related resources
October 29, 2008 8:15:01 PM

Surgery you want have to put it inside and mount it ,just unplug the ozc 520 from everything,and plug the other up outside and plug it up to every thing.
October 29, 2008 8:50:26 PM

That's what I did, I unplugged mine totally, but left the extension cable in and connected the other PC's to it. Unfortunately, I think the other PSU was crap, because only one of my case lights came on, and the processor fan spun like crazy. Maybe not a fair test, but it didn't work anyway.
October 29, 2008 8:52:43 PM

Surgery what size was it.500,400,300etc.
October 29, 2008 8:57:12 PM

Don't know, it was only powering some Celeron or something, so probably lowrated. It did have 24 pins though, so it was definitely ATX 2 anyway.
October 29, 2008 9:00:15 PM

Surgery you can also take your psu out and plug it outside the case so the wires are not stretched.if is was your ram you would have still gotten some kind of beep.also 7950 gt I think should use 18 amps or 22 amps on the +12 volt rail,but how do you have it plugged in.
October 29, 2008 9:02:33 PM

The BIOS flash screen doesn't even come up, it literally just sits there like an idle engine. As for the graphics card, errr... I just have it hooked up to a spare power cable coming off the PSU. It has the little converter to fit into it, is this not right?
October 29, 2008 9:49:25 PM

More details: if the PC is left idling like that, eventually the processor fan stops spinning, and after that the whole system shuts itself down. I'm really stumped here, not looking forward to having to buy tons of new parts.
October 29, 2008 9:49:29 PM

take everything out of the case put it all on a clean neutral surface and do your diagnostics from there,,and if you have the time and $$ get yourself a good psu,if you fool around with a piece of junk you could live to regret it,consider the psu like you would any good investment,[future proofing a little] after all it is the heart of your system,you get what you pay for ,,,,[GIGO]..:) 
October 29, 2008 9:51:10 PM

Well it's an OCZ PSU, you don't rate them as much?
October 30, 2008 1:15:43 AM

surgery you can test the power supply by buying a psu tester they range from $10.00 to $20.00 om newegg or some electronic stores.don't agree that ozc psu are junk,I believe pc power & cooling make them .

The BIOS flash screen doesn't even come up, it literally just sits there like an idle engine. As for the graphics card, errr... I just have it hooked up to a spare power cable coming off the PSU. It has the little converter to fit into it, is this not right?

yes as long as the two seperate 12 volt 18 amp rails are connected to the y cable. not 2- 12volt connectors from same rail. THE OZC 500 HAS TWO SEPERATE RAILS @ 18 AMPS PER RAIL.don't use 2 molex cables from same 12 volt connector.seperate 12 volt 18amp rails try that if they are not already hooked up that way.
October 30, 2008 11:07:49 AM

What, so you have to connect two seperate molex cables from the PSU to the card? How do you know which ones are the 18amp ones?
October 30, 2008 11:18:17 AM

Also, my PC mostly booted fine in the past. How could it boot if I'd wired the card wrong? I can only ever remember wiring up one molex connector to the graphics card.
October 30, 2008 12:26:30 PM

Surgery your psu has two sets of 12 volt 18 amp rails they probably have 2 or 3 4 pin connector on them along with a floppy power connector.try using 1 4 pin connector from two different cables.

had a friend that brought a pc in with a 7950 gt in it and was running a 420 psu using molex cable off the same molex line.over time the 7950 gt was drawing so much current that the 7950 burnt up.he'd had it for over 1 1/2 year like this.it finally went bad.I also had the 7950 gt I used 2 different molex cable from seperate going to the y cable that came with the video card.never had a problem with after plugging it up right.
October 30, 2008 12:43:40 PM

Ah I see, I'll try that. But if the card has burnt up, would that produce these symptoms? It never even makes it to the motherboard splash screen. I've had the 7950GT for about the same time too, about a year and a half.
October 30, 2008 12:57:13 PM

Surgery take video out and check and see if it has any burnt spots or any caps that are puffed up on the top of them.
October 30, 2008 1:00:06 PM

Surgery said:
Ah I see, I'll try that. But if the card has burnt up, would that produce these symptoms? It never even makes it to the motherboard splash screen. I've had the 7950GT for about the same time too, about a year and a half.

yes on symptoms his psu was ok had old video laying around 7600 gt the pc then power up just fine afterwards.
October 30, 2008 1:15:18 PM

I checked the card all over and there's nothing I can see, no burnt bits. I also re-wired it with two seperate 18amp molexes, still nothing. When I had this problem in the past, I found taking my x-fi fatality card out sometimes helped. It also sometimes helped to put it in, like it was the key to starting my PC or something. Weird I know. Anyway, still no closer to fixing this.
October 30, 2008 1:44:30 PM

Surgery have tried booting up with out sound card.
October 30, 2008 1:45:49 PM

Yeah, I took it out and still nothing. I don't think I can take the onboard sound card off, heh.
October 30, 2008 1:52:20 PM

Surgery no but you can disable in bios and sense you can't get in to bios you can't do that.

did you check out the psu tester.also check out pin on monitor make sure none bent,also if you got another vga cable may try that,but not getting any beeps could be psu or even mobo. I don't thinks it ram or video.may also try resetting ram and also cpu and heatsink.
October 30, 2008 1:55:29 PM

I'm tempted just to buy a new PSU and motherboard, but I'll go and check for bent pins and all that. It could be bent pins actually, as the PSU 24pin connector was always wobbly, the motherboard power light would go off if the cable was nudged.
October 30, 2008 2:01:24 PM

Surgery said:
I'm tempted just to buy a new PSU and motherboard, but I'll go and check for bent pins and all that. It could be bent pins actually, as the PSU 24pin connector was always wobbly, the motherboard power light would go off if the cable was nudged.

that may be your problem 24 psu connector may have cold solder joint or the 24 psu connector itself.you shouldn't be able to wiggle connector and the mobo power light going on and off.try checking that
October 30, 2008 2:13:24 PM

Ahh, so weird! I plugged my x-fi into the bottom PCI slot and...it worked. Just like that, all this **** around and it suddenly works. The only reason I had this problem in the first place was because the little catch inside the hard drive that secures the SATA cable snapped off, so I was trying to tape in the cable to get the data off. Thanks for all your help anyway...this is **** up.
October 30, 2008 2:24:53 PM

Surgery said:
Ahh, so weird! I plugged my x-fi into the bottom PCI slot and...it worked. Just like that, all this **** around and it suddenly works. The only reason I had this problem in the first place was because the little catch inside the hard drive that secures the SATA cable snapped off, so I was trying to tape in the cable to get the data off. Thanks for all your help anyway...this is **** up.

glad you found the problem,and thanks for posting back with the fix I save all of the post were the op found fix way to go good luck
!