need feedback on this system

sparda92

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
Okay well, My current computer is really outdated and I wanted to try something new and build my own computer.
Here are some stuff I picked out:

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

LINKSYS WMP300N 32-bit PCI Interface High-speed Wireless-N Wireless Adapter

CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

ASUS P5Q LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
EPU w/ 8-Phase power, deluxe OC features

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Yorkfield 2.66GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Retail

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit English for System Builders 1pk DSP OEI DVD - OEM

XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - Retail

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CE, CB, TUV, FCC, CCC - Retail

DIAMOND 4870X2PE52G Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-Bit x 2) GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

please tell me if some of the parts here are unceccary or if i need to add anything, i'm trying to keep under a $1900 budget

thanks in adv

OK, now it's weird, you have two PSUs. Remove the 450W one. You won't need a special PSU for the video card, with that 750TX in there.

If you take my advice about the Antec 900, you can drop the Masscool fan.
Also, you can replace the Zalman with a Xigmatek HDT-S1283 because the Antec is big enough to fit it.

Edit: the WD6400AAKS is cheaper per GB than the Spinpoint 750GB, and it has higher density platters too.

sparda92

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
wow thanks for the suggestions guys, i edited the orig post with the new stuff.

i wanted to know if theres any big deal between the the manufacturer of the 4870 X2. The HIS and Diamond ones are sold out, but there are sapphire and gigabyte ones.

Should I wait for the HIS and Diamond? Or it really dosnt matter?

You have two PSUs listed. The first one, the 450W Thermaltake, can go away. The second, the 750W Corsair, is a good one.

Diamond is on my personal "Do not buy" list for a variety of reasons, including but not limited to lousy drivers and/or incompatible with ATI drivers, no support for their products on ATI's web site, their own site's tech support is broken and/or UTTERLY lame, etc. Your mileage may vary, but for me, never again.
Some of the Apevia cases look nice, but one more like the one I had will earn them a spot on that list as well for quality issues. The design was great, but the material was flimsy, the engineering was poor, and the quality control was so bad that no one noticed that a factory drone had put a screw through the power-switch cable when putting the front on.
CoolerMaster makes a range of nice cases. I really like my current one, a CM-690. Cooling is excellent without being noisy, and it is very easy to work in its spacious interior.