Please HELP! Memory nightmare!

rchumsae

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008
Hi all! I am having a problem upgrading memory on my computer. I built this computer about a year ago, its an INTEL DG31PR motherboard with an Intel Core 2 Duo 6550 and currently ONE stick of 1GB DDR2 DIMM memory. I wanted to upgrade the memory to 2 GB. The motherboard supports the following type of memory:

1.8 V (only) DDR2 SDRAM DIMMs with gold-plated contacts
Unbuffered, single-sided or double-sided DIMMs with the following restriction: Double-sided DIMMs with x16 organization are not supported.
Dual Channel DDR2 800/667 MHz
4 GB maximum total system memory using DDR2 667 or DDR2 800 DIMMs
Minimum total system memory: 512 MB
Non-ECC DIMMs
Serial Presence Detect
DDR2 800 or DDR2 667 MHz SDRAM DIMMs
DDR2 667 SIMMs with SPD timings of only 5-5-5 (tCL-tRCD-tRP)
DDR2 800 SIMMs with SPD timings of only 5-5-5 or 6-6-6 (tCL-tRCD-tRP).

I hope I provided enough info.. anyways, I went to Staples and purchased PNY 2GB 2x1GB DDR2 PC2-5300 667mhz/h33mhz/400mhz Dual channel memeory kit and took out the old 1GB memeory module. When both sticks are installed, Windows XP only recognises 1gb of memory WHILE BIOS RECOGNISES ALL OF IT! I have a dual boot dual partition, when i try to use Vista, it wont even load at all!! all of the sticks work alone in either slot (there are 2 slots max) so i KNOW that the memory is good and i KNOW that the slots are good. PLEASE HELP! whats going on? Thanks a lot!

rchumsae

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008
Buddy, I already bought the RAM. Its supposed to be 100% compatable, my question is......why the **** aint it workin.

Jouelle

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Dude

Check for a BIOS update. Things changed fast when that memory was new.
I had troubles like you descibe and updating the BIOS made it all better.

roonj

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
According to your post the motherboard requires DDR2 667mhz which is pc2-5300. So ok there, also the timings must be 5-5-5, what are the timings of the PNY ram?
And does the PNY ram require voltage higher than 1.8v to achieve 667mhz. Follow Jouelle thoughts and run CPU-Z. Click on SPD to see the values required for the ram if the packaging doesn't tell you.

Jouelle

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I have been posting for practice and heck this post was the top of list on memeroy questions. I find the question kind of intersting because so many systems are being upgraded and tweaked with windows 7 now in the stores. I think lots of people will try to hop up that ddr2 system rather than chunk out the bucks for a nifty new ddr3 rig. Heck hard drives are flipping tera bytes now a days. It is not like I will burn precious memory needed to launch a space shuutle to mars or anything.

I do not understand relying to OP. What does that mean? I am new to this posting thing. I would like to be half way good at this.

Jouelle, look at the date of the OP (original poster) opening remark. See next to rchumsae name the date 11-30-2008. That is the day this thread was opened, almost a year ago.

Juelle wrote:

Dude

Check for a BIOS update. Things changed fast when that memory was new.
I had troubles like you descibe and updating the BIOS made it all better.

You called the original poster 'Dude' addressing that poster specifically giving him your advice. He is long gone from this Forum. It was a year ago when he made the post for help on November 30th 2008. Not sure where you dug this year old thread up from. It was not at the top of today'Forum post lists. Check the date of the post if you are not sure what you are posting too. No big deal except what a surprise to get an email notification of a reply today to a thread stemming from last November asking for specific help and that no longer applies to anything.

Jouelle

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Dude means fine gentleman. You may be right OP could have been a Dame. Whoo! Whoo!

I liked the post about the Timing thing. CPU-Z tells me that info of memory on many motherboards. One says Channel # dual. Ohh! I like that. I wonder how much control one has selecting memory timings and how broad the supported ranges are. Do motherboards support multiple timings or do we just do what we are told.

One has to admit the OP can pick a title. I wonder how he made out?

One more post and you will equal OP's interest spent on the Forum. You joined yesterday and have nearly accompolished that distinction with four posts. OP appeared here eleven months ago and has managed five total posts. OP likely no longer even owns the system referred to last November '08. Try making a thread of your own other members can relate to. I haven't bothered to waste time re-reading OP's post from a year ago.

Jouelle

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Some Dudes? or Dames Just need to be right even thou they can not stay on topic in a thread. What is the point of a public critisism of posting technique on a Hardware web site on computer memory topics. Some one most likely scored a sweet DDR2 system on a curb somewhere in space. They might like to read about how to get the dam thing running. I am real curious. What was the outcome on this memory quandrey.

I think I would try to run a memory test on this system to be sure the new memory was not damaged in shipping or handling. There are a few. Buddy Microsoft gives out a free testing program. Loads ones and zeros does some comparing kind of stuff. One could get technical thou working or not is a digital thing. If the memory will test good the problem must be software, firmware just general ones and zeros living in silicon or magnetic domains. Realining poles can be done. Pounding sand may yield some results.

Some Dudes? or Dames Just need to be right even thou they can not stay on topic in a thread. What is the point of a public critisism of posting technique on a Hardware web site on computer memory topics. Some one most likely scored a sweet DDR2 system on a curb somewhere in space.

There is a special place for inquiring dudes, or dames, like you to find answers for their vey special questions. Any further question like the ones you have now regarding anything loosley connected to this thread, ask here.

I think I would try to run a memory test on this system to be sure the new memory was not damaged in shipping or handling. There are a few. Buddy Microsoft gives out a free testing program. Loads ones and zeros does some comparing kind of stuff. One could get technical thou working or not is a digital thing. If the memory will test good the problem must be software, firmware just general ones and zeros living in silicon or magnetic domains. Realining poles can be done. Pounding sand may yield some results.

ghostyy.jpg

Jouelle

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Wow The quote tool in this forum can be mis-used. How about some diagnostic tools for Memory problems. What tools does the group know about and would like to share. Oh ya we are working on the nightmare theme. Truth be told it is kind of hard to have a memory fixing nightmare as long as one keep the power off in the case and owns a fine sledge hammer. Test learn adjust test learn adjust. Most of this memory stuff has a cause, not to scarey. "Stumble stumble crawl, crawl stumble stumble stumble" Remember that one?

joeshmoe80

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
Dont criticize him. even if the post is old it is still helpful for people with similar problems. the worst is going to a post that never gets answered. even if it gets answered a year later, so what. there are many of us with the same questions.

thanks for the reply and answer to OP's original question.

TRENDING THREADS