Sign in with
Your question

System Restore Not Available

Last response: in Windows XP
January 13, 2011 2:44:02 PM

Greetings all! I purchased a new hard drive and installed Windows XP Pro along with all my other programs. I attempted to set a restore point and was told the group policy prevented this. I set it up as a home workstation. I got that problem resolved. Now, when I try to start System Restore and set a restore point, I get a message that System Restore has been turned off. When I try to turn it back on but unchecking the System Restore turned off button and hit apply, I get another error message that there is a problem with one or more hard drives in turning it on. I do have two hard drives the new one (500 and a smaller one 80). How do I configure the hard drives to allow System Restore?

More about : system restore

January 13, 2011 3:49:54 PM

you need to configure the new hardware (the new drive that you added) first
the easiest way to configure the hardware is with the XP disk, do a repair install of XP. This does not erase personal files. (but you should do a backup of your files to thumb drive, DVD, etc, first)
The directions for a repair install are posted in this forum, sixth post from the top.
when you do the repair install, plug all of your hardware in so it will be detected and configured. After the configuration, the new drive should work just dandy, and a restore point should be available.
m
l
January 26, 2011 12:23:46 PM

Thank you Soundgurumai for your reply. I have not been able to figure out how to do a repair from the XP Pro disk. It only gives me the option of installing. Perhaps I am missing something.

Dan

soundguruman said:
you need to configure the new hardware (the new drive that you added) first
the easiest way to configure the hardware is with the XP disk, do a repair install of XP. This does not erase personal files. (but you should do a backup of your files to thumb drive, DVD, etc, first)
The directions for a repair install are posted in this forum, sixth post from the top.
when you do the repair install, plug all of your hardware in so it will be detected and configured. After the configuration, the new drive should work just dandy, and a restore point should be available.

m
l
!