Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Overclocking my computer (amd processor)

Last response: in Overclocking
October 20, 2009 8:11:57 PM

Hello everyone,

I assembled my own computer 5 months ago, by ordering parts from newegg.com. But when it comes to overclocking stuff and testing it, I have no clue at all. My computer is listed below. Could you please tell me how to clock my cpu by giving me all the instructions? Please people, spare no dirty details. And one more request; could you please tell me what the perfect voltage and speed would be for this computer, along with everything else? I want it to run at its best, as in Windows Experience Index, the processor shows a rating of just 3.7, when everything else it is above or equal to 5.9. I would really appreciate any help.

Thank you all.

Hard Drive:
Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5\"

Memory:
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBPK

Processor:
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz

Motherboard:
ECS BLACK SERIES A790GXM-AD3

Graphics Card:
HIS H485QT512P Radeon HD 4850 512MB

Power Supply:
Rosewill RP650-2 650W ATX12V v2.3 & EPS12V v2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

Case:
XION Onyx XON-303 Black/Blue Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

CD/DVD Burner:
Plextor PX-716A
a b K Overclocking
October 20, 2009 9:59:29 PM

Read all the guides you can and ask here if you have any ?'s.
m
l
October 20, 2009 10:17:37 PM

I am very sorry, I don't quite understand you. Where can I find the guides that I have to read. And the specifications that you have given me are for the intel core 2 duo e8500 and i7 and nvidia graphics cards. I'm sorry to annoy you, as I am a complete failure in this issue.
m
l
Related resources
October 21, 2009 4:50:47 AM

Hello again,

I would like to add a few things. As mentioned above, I want my cpu to run at its very best, but without the fear of it overheating and burning at any point. It is running at its stock speed of 800 MHz, even though it is a 3.2 GHz processor. Should I overclock it, or should I just raise it to 3.2 GHz, because that would really make it fast, as well as increase the WEI score very significantly. Could you just tell me what changes to make, so that I can make them, and will it be worth it to overclock my ram? Any feedback would be appreciated. And overshocked, sorry about what I said. I failed to read the statement on top which said that those specs were for your computer.
m
l

Best solution

October 21, 2009 8:49:33 AM

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=596023

^^phenom II overclocking guide-helped me get my 945 from 3 to 3.525GHZ on stock volts

if your processor is sown as running at 800mhz then your MOBO may not be recognizing it properly-the exact same thing happened to me. To fix this try updating your BIOS to the most recent version, and see if shows the correct clock-speed. Check on your manufacturers website to see if your CPU is even supported, and if so what BIOS revision it needs.

That's just my suggestion, it may not be the solution, but it can't hurt to try. Look in your BIOS and see what it lists the processor as, tell us what it says.

A quick note on thermal management-your probably safe up to load temps in the low 60s, but I like to keep mine below 55 (which I can quite nicely with my coolermaster n520). If you want to overclock the CPU further than a few small steps then you will probably want to invest in an after-market cooler.
October 21, 2009 8:07:43 PM

My bios is fully updated. I just updated it 3 days ago. And yes, my MB does support my CPU. When I go into M.I.B. and enable CPU frequency control, this is what I see:

Current CPU Frequency: 3200MHz
Current CPU Voltage: 1.3500V
Current NB Frequency: 2000MHz

CPU Frequency: x8.0 1600 MHz
CPU Voltage: 1.550v
NB Frequency: x4.0 800MHz

What is the difference between the two? I cannot change the "Current" values, but I can change the other ones.

And below Voltage Function in M.I.B., this is what I see:
CPU Speed: 3200MHz, NB Clk: 2000MHz

And when the computer turns on, this is what I see sometimes:
DRAM Clocking: 800 MHz

And in Memory Config in M.I.B., this is what I see:
Memory Clock: 400MHz, 400MHz

I raised the CPU freq to 3200, by raising the multiplier to x16.0, and the voltage could not be increased. I saved the settings, and then nothing would happen. My monitor on/off switch would just keep blinking. So, I had to press the CMOS button, and then restart it, and then it was back to default settings. What do I do? And how do I make my memory run at 1333 MHz, as that is why I bought it. Please, any suggestions would be welcome.
m
l
October 21, 2009 8:52:07 PM

Not sure what those CPU voltages are. 1.35V is the stock voltage for your CPU, I have no idea where the 1.55V is coming from(I have never seen two CPU Vcores in a BIOS), but it's too high. The CPU should be perfectly stable at 3.2GHZ on stock volts, If the CPU frequency is correct in BIOS then it should OK.

A few rules to get you started. Find out the stock clocks and voltages for everything, such as CPU, NB, memory etc. and set them from AUTO to those (left on AUTO the mobo will tend to over-volt when you up clock speeds).

After you have sorted your BIOS out check out the link I posted earlier to get you started.

As for the memory issue, try to find the setting that determines the FSB:RAM ratio. In mine it has a drop down list of RAM frequencies based on the current FSB clock. on AUTO my 1066Mhz RAM was only running at 800, so I had to manually set it to 1066. However I later had to lower the ratio again to overclock my locked CPU :p 
m
l
October 21, 2009 10:21:03 PM

OK, so this is what I know:
Stock Voltage: 1.35V
Stock CPU Frequency: 3.2 GHz
Stock NB Frequency: 2.0 GHz

As for the memory, it is supposed to run at 1333 MHz, so I am guessing that is the stock clock. Do I need anything else. If not, then I will follow the instructions on the link that you gave me.
m
l
October 22, 2009 2:24:11 AM

you probably have cool n quiet which is why your processor runs at 800mh. you can turn it off in the bios but saves money if you dont
m
l
October 22, 2009 2:21:50 PM

nun said:
you probably have cool n quiet which is why your processor runs at 800mh. you can turn it off in the bios but saves money if you dont

Good point. Run a program like prime95 and see if you get correct readings.
m
l
!