Sign in with
Your question

new monitor with no resolution to chose!?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 10, 2008 12:01:12 PM

I have never seen this:

A friend of mine bought a Wide monitor. We installed monitor driver but there is no 1640 x something to chose from Properties :( 

I guess his gfx card is old? Will buying new cheap gfx card solve this problem?
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 10, 2008 12:48:33 PM

Welcome to the forums!

Check the video card specifications.
Try using the VGA port, not the DVI.
Try updating the video card drivers.
September 10, 2008 1:00:50 PM

You may have to click on advanced, and find the list all modes button. Then you should be able to choose 1650x1050. Otherwise go into the GFX card setup utility and tell it to identify the monitor.

I suspect the propblem is that windows is still assuming that the max resolution hasn't changed and is olny allowing resolutions compatible with the old screen.
Related resources
September 10, 2008 1:33:55 PM

I had a similar problem trying to set up a second monitor, one wide screen, one standard with a old x300 ati card and windows xp.

THE ONLY solution was to download the catalyst drivers/control panel. that solved the problem, even though windows said it had the latest drivers it could not set up the higher resolutions without the download.

I'm sure nvidia has a similar download.

hope this helps
September 10, 2008 1:39:51 PM

unfortunately, his gfx card does not even has DVI output. just VGA... I hope when he buy cheapest gfx card [20-30 euros], it will be able to chose 1640 x ... resolution? His gfx card seems pretty old, GeForce... can`t remember the mark now...
September 10, 2008 1:42:32 PM

Thank you all very very much! This forum seems very helpful to me. I will see how it goes tomorrow when I come to my friend's house.

Thank you all again.
a c 141 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 10, 2008 1:58:36 PM

Not knowing which monitor was purchased, it's possible it doesn't support a resolution of 1680x1050. There are quite a few 19" widescreen monitors that do not support anything above 1440x900. Just a heads up.

-Wolf sends
!