new monitor with no resolution to chose!?

djnick

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2008
I have never seen this:

A friend of mine bought a Wide monitor. We installed monitor driver but there is no 1640 x something to chose from Properties :(

I guess his gfx card is old? Will buying new cheap gfx card solve this problem?

Aragorn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
You may have to click on advanced, and find the list all modes button. Then you should be able to choose 1650x1050. Otherwise go into the GFX card setup utility and tell it to identify the monitor.

I suspect the propblem is that windows is still assuming that the max resolution hasn't changed and is olny allowing resolutions compatible with the old screen.

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
I had a similar problem trying to set up a second monitor, one wide screen, one standard with a old x300 ati card and windows xp.

THE ONLY solution was to download the catalyst drivers/control panel. that solved the problem, even though windows said it had the latest drivers it could not set up the higher resolutions without the download.

I'm sure nvidia has a similar download.

hope this helps

djnick

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2008
unfortunately, his gfx card does not even has DVI output. just VGA... I hope when he buy cheapest gfx card [20-30 euros], it will be able to chose 1640 x ... resolution? His gfx card seems pretty old, GeForce... can`t remember the mark now...

djnick

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2008
Thank you all very very much! This forum seems very helpful to me. I will see how it goes tomorrow when I come to my friend's house.

Thank you all again.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Not knowing which monitor was purchased, it's possible it doesn't support a resolution of 1680x1050. There are quite a few 19" widescreen monitors that do not support anything above 1440x900. Just a heads up.

-Wolf sends