Sign in with
Your question

PC takes its sweet time to POST and YES I do mean POST and NOT BOOT

Last response: in Windows XP
January 13, 2011 11:35:46 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 531 that takes 30 seconds to a minute to actually POST. That's not all though. Going from a cold boot, or warm, here's what happens. Push button, fans spin up and still I'm waiting on the POST single beep but it'll restart and immediately after that restart it'll "beep" or POST if you will.

NOW, my situation is I'm troubleshooting for a friend. The PSU is obviously bad because the PSU fan doesn't turn. I have a good known PSU from one of my own personal rigs in it. STILL having the POST problem the "power on; wait; restart; then POST" but after all that and the computer POSTS, I go on into Vista no problem.

I know the boot process of a PC and I do know that when the power button is pressed, the mobo gets a power good signal, the processor then sends a line down the address bus to the BIOS, the BIOS then signals the hardware to self check and then "beep" a successful POST and on into the actual OS boot process.

What could be my problem. The CPU delaying the post? The address bus or the actual BIOS?

Thanks guys
The Ozz
January 13, 2011 11:37:05 PM

ozzman24 said:
I have a Dell Inspiron 531 that takes 30 seconds to a minute to actually POST. That's not all though. Going from a cold boot, or warm, here's what happens. Push button, fans spin up and still I'm waiting on the POST single beep but it'll restart and immediately after that restart it'll "beep" or POST if you will.

NOW, my situation is I'm troubleshooting for a friend. The PSU is obviously bad because the PSU fan doesn't turn. I have a good known PSU from one of my own personal rigs in it. STILL having the POST problem the "power on; wait; restart; then POST" but after all that and the computer POSTS, I go on into Vista no problem.

I know the boot process of a PC and I do know that when the power button is pressed, the mobo gets a power good signal, the processor then sends a line down the address bus to the BIOS, the BIOS then signals the hardware to self check and then "beep" a successful POST and on into the actual OS boot process.

What could be my problem. The CPU delaying the post? The address bus or the actual BIOS?

Thanks guys
The Ozz

I just realized I made a Vista thread in XP. Sorry.
m
l
January 21, 2011 7:47:23 PM

I eventually solved this one. This particular PC has a PCIe video card as well as on board graphics. I take out the video card and boom! It POST's within seconds. And no, switching the BIOS setting from PCIe to on board didn't make a difference. I think the card itself was bad. Have yet to test it.
m
l
Related resources
January 22, 2011 12:09:01 AM

If the card otherwise works, then it's likely not defective. First thing to try would have been to clear the CMOS using the jumper or removing the battery. If that didn't work, then update the BIOS and try again.

If the card is defective, then it shouldn't boot at all or you should see some indication within Windows that the card is bad.
m
l
January 28, 2011 11:29:30 PM

Zoron said:
If the card otherwise works, then it's likely not defective. First thing to try would have been to clear the CMOS using the jumper or removing the battery. If that didn't work, then update the BIOS and try again.

If the card is defective, then it shouldn't boot at all or you should see some indication within Windows that the card is bad.

Well I plugged the card into a bench rig of mine. Not really a bench rig but just a PC I got setup in another room that takes the neglect I throw at it. Anyway, couldn't get any video out of that card, even on my other good PC. I have no idea if the card worked or not as for I was troubleshooting for a friend. The GPU fan was so clogged with dust I doubt it has turned in at least a year. Likely, the card just burned out. Thanks for the input though.
m
l
!