Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Athlon II X4 620 L3 cache unlocking help?

Last response: in Overclocking
October 21, 2009 10:48:01 AM

Hi Guys.Currently I have Athlon II X4 620 processor on ASUS M2N68-AM PLUS motherboard. How can I unlock Athlon's L3 cache?
a b V Motherboard
October 21, 2009 11:40:23 AM

athlons dont have any l3, they physically cut it out, they didnt just deactivate it, its not there at all.
October 21, 2009 1:03:55 PM

Well, some of them I've been suspecting they deactivated it because of the TLB bug back in '07. Even if you unlock it, you'll experience some problems you probably don't want to experience.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
October 21, 2009 1:14:09 PM

the tlb bug is only there on 65nm
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
October 21, 2009 4:09:07 PM

You can but it will be a longshot. There are only a few people that have been able to do it and they have said that even thou it does come up with the L3 unlocked (CPU-Z) they think it is a glitch.

http://alienbabeltech.com/main/wp-content/uploads/2009/...

My understanding is that there should not be any L3 whatsoever on the die. Not sure what the case is here...
October 21, 2009 5:47:50 PM

OverClkr, that is my understanding as well. Athlon is a completely seperate manufacturing process. The chips are much easier (and cheaper) to make, hence their pricing point.

It's not inconceivable that AMD is also marketing it's Phenom chips with defects in the L3 cache as Athlons with locked cache, however. It's helps to keep the yields up.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
October 21, 2009 5:52:51 PM

Personally if AMD states there is no L3 whatsoever on the 620 and 630 then I don't understand why some are able to unlock the L3. I will have to do more researching to find out whats true and whats not....
a b V Motherboard
October 21, 2009 5:56:23 PM

i read somewhere that to make up for propus shortages they are using deneb dies, but this should only be a few
October 22, 2009 6:31:14 PM

Overclkr and Xaira are right about the no L3 cache on the AMD X4 620 The chips don't have any L3 cache from the factory. What people are getting confused about is the first batch of chips released for sale included deneb chips with L3 6mb cache left on or disabled. I think now it would be pretty rare to find any of these deneb chips left. Some people believe games would suffer due to no L3 cache. Well check out the review at Http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/athlon2_620/8.h.... They show the X4 620 at 266 mhz and overclocked at 3.1. thats the first bar and last bar in the review. Now compare the last off green bar and the orange bar which is the I570. As you step though the tests. You'll find that the X4 260OC held its own in game benchmarks. The only tests were the numbers are lower were synthetic benchmarks and 3DMark06. Personally I think that alot of tests favor Intel and thats why AMD scores so low. If you already have DDR3 ram you can score a killer CPU and motherboard for around $200 Thats pretty much what I paid for my Q6600
CPU. I am seriously thinking about going back to AMD. I'm tired of Intel putting out all these new chips which require new motherboards to use them. Also some members using a motherboard with ACC in the bios report being able to turn on the L3 cache. If this is true its only because they got lucky and received one of the deneb chips with the L3 cache. You cannot turn an L3 cache if there is none. Comments are welcome.

Best solution

a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
October 22, 2009 6:48:53 PM

Thanks for the feedback =)

@ mudit, you can only try if you have the right motherboard, your board has an nvidia chipset so dont even try it. You will need a board with an SB710 or SB750 in order to unlock.
November 15, 2009 1:54:52 AM

yes, but how do you use your bios in these mobo to unlock said l3 cache?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
November 16, 2009 2:38:10 PM

The same way you unlock cores on the 550'snd 720's.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
February 15, 2010 10:57:18 AM

Hi Guys.Currently I have Athlon II X4 620 processor on MSi 785g- e53 motherboard. How can I unlock Athlon's L3 cache?
February 28, 2010 1:29:25 PM

hey all and all the L3 cache can be unlocked using bios only an somme mobos only but the thing is does it afect the processor if you unlock it????
a b V Motherboard
May 5, 2010 8:52:30 AM

OvrClkr said:
Thanks for the feedback =)

@ mudit, you can only try if you have the right motherboard, your board has an nvidia chipset so dont even try it. You will need a board with an SB710 or SB750 in order to unlock.

My understanding is that Nvida chipsets have this functionality as well.
a b V Motherboard
May 5, 2010 11:03:29 AM

my 750a sli unlocks just fine
a b V Motherboard
May 6, 2010 2:01:05 AM

xaira said:
my 750a sli unlocks just fine

What is it called Xaira? Nvidia has a different name for it.
August 8, 2010 8:56:59 AM

Hi im new to this site, i have the same motherboard as you, and same athlon ii x4 620 cpu, can overclock this cpu to 2.8ghz on the m2n68 am plus board, but no l3 cache?? slows this cpu down!!!!!!!
a b K Overclocking
August 8, 2010 11:01:48 PM

andrei22 said:
Hi im new to this site, i have the same motherboard as you, and same athlon ii x4 620 cpu, can overclock this cpu to 2.8ghz on the m2n68 am plus board, but no l3 cache?? slows this cpu down!!!!!!!

Welcome newcomer

As stated earlier in this thread, I don't believe your particular board can unlock.

I think Nvidia calls it NVCC or as ASRock calls it UCC is needed to unlock.

I see this is an older tread but I'll throw this out there any ways because 620's are still being sold..

If you have thee opportunity to look at the top of your processor, you can tell by the stepping codes what core your cpu was made from and if there is even any hope of unlocking an L3. The 620's used stepping codes of: CACYC AC and CADAC AD (Source). The CACYC AC are deneb cores with an L3 be it functional or not. The CADAC AD is a Propus core with NO L3. You can see what cpu's where made from the CACYC AC's (Here) and what was made with the CADAC AD's (Here).

So if you know you have a Deneb core or not you will still need to roll the dice and enable ACC,NVCC,UCC or flip the switch to find any extras. Just know how to clear your cmos if something isn't functional!

August 9, 2010 6:02:09 AM

sounds about right, i was looking at the 620 cpu the other day, i brought mine from pbtech, im in new zealand, iwould that this cpu wont have l3, i just go buy 1 insted, would you recomend intel or amd with l3 cache?
August 9, 2010 6:30:04 AM

sound's like you know alot of hardware info,what would be the best aftermarket gpu cooler for my ZOTAP AMP GTS250??
May 18, 2012 5:25:40 PM

Hi, i have the AMD Athlon II X4 630 with the ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3.

Is it possible to unlock the L3 cache? if so how?

thanks
December 16, 2012 4:40:18 AM

[hi guyz just wanted to tell that it is possible and i have done it on 620 with asus m4a77t

!