Sign in with
Your question

Asus A8V Deluxe sata HD problem

Last response: in Motherboards
December 1, 2008 10:55:45 AM

Hi, I am new to this forum but I suspect that someone alredy knows the answer to my problem!

I have had a computer running One IDE and one SATA (120gb) for a few years now, recently the IDE drive died so I removed it and now only have the SATA HD.
The computer will simply not recognise this drive and during startup I get a sata370 "the bios in not installed"
I flashed the board bios to 1017 but it changes nothing. I cannot even install windows.
I have tried enabling the drive in the bios and swapping between IDE and raid without effect.
The drive is fine as it works perfectly in an external case. it is not a hardware issue.

I am not sure the drive was ever correctly recognised, when I first installed XP there was no option to install on the sata drive, this only became visible after XP was loaded.

any thoughts welcomed

Also does anyone know the upgrade limit of this board in terms of RAM and Athlon speed? might as well upgrade while it is in bits :) 
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 129 V Motherboard
December 1, 2008 11:20:25 AM

Try one of the via SATA ports maybe?

I have the K8V (754 version of that board) and did not have that issue, but it is still worth a try.

You did make the F6 floppy right? its needed for the Promise controller to be seen during the windows install.
December 1, 2008 11:30:09 AM

Hi There are only 4 sata ports, 2 are used for the raid.
Haven't loaded and other drivers though?? It said the BIOS was the problem.

:) 
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
December 1, 2008 1:10:29 PM

XP or XP with SP1 will require the 'SATA driver' to be loaded at the F6 prompt via floppy disk. If you have a Windows XP disk with SP2, the SATA driver will not be required at the F6, but will be loaded via the XP SP2 disk. SATA drives were not mainstream when XP was first released. SATA driver solutions are not provided with XP/XP SP1 installation disks.
December 1, 2008 1:47:59 PM

Thanks, that is not the problem then as the XP version is SP2.
might just be easier to but an IDE disk! :) 
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 129 V Motherboard
December 1, 2008 10:07:29 PM

The drive will NEVER show up in the bios if it is on the lower ports(even the top ones do not seem to). The lower SATA ports are controlled by the promise controller. Since it is a second controller and not integrated into the bios the drive will only show up to windows once the drivers are installed (F6).

Are you on the lower sata ports?

I still needed F6 drivers on some boards even with SP2. With IDE mode no board should need a driver.

EDIT

Is the Promise controller in IDE mode? try the lower ports and see if that works better

The bottom ports are connected to the Promise SATA/IDE controller and the top are connected to the Via SATA in the southbridge.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
December 1, 2008 10:31:13 PM

Agree with Nuke. Do not use a 'special' SATA headers designated as 'RAID' configured. Use a 'common' SATA port. Check your MB manual for which ports are 'designated' and which two are not.
December 2, 2008 7:08:05 AM

Thanks for your replies, really clear.
The drive is now connected to the lower of the 2 upper SATA ports marked "SATA 1" just to the right of the VIA logo.
I had tried it in the lower ports with the Promise controller enabled in both raid and IDE modes but with the same result, just nothing.

The drive I wanted to install was a new 500Gb Seagate SATA Barracuda but as this did not work I have been using the older 80Gb SATA drive that was already installed.

I will try the manual driver install at the F6 prompt to see if that works when I get back next week.

Thanks for all your help, let you know the outcome.

Gaz
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 129 V Motherboard
December 2, 2008 10:14:07 AM

Forgot one thing. If your drives are SATA II you will have to run them with the SATA I computability jumper in place.

December 2, 2008 11:15:49 AM

I need a large drive for my backup module so I could use the 500Gb SATA in that, if so would it be much simpler for me to just buy a new IDE HD for this MB?
Any idea what the latest AMD will fit the board as it is a bit old now?

Thanks again for your efforts

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 129 V Motherboard
December 2, 2008 8:16:08 PM

You can get a list of all cpu's and what bios is needed to support them here.

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLan...

If you can find a IDE drive at 500 gigs, it will work without drivers as long as you use one of the 2 top ide connectors(the blue one is preferable). Make sure to try the SATA 150 compat jumper first since sata drives are now cheaper in most places.
!