How to improve my case cooling?

RMN4

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
hello guys
for starters this is my config
Cooler Master Elite 330 Cabinet|MSI P45 NEO-F|Intel Q6600|Palit HD 4850 Sonic|Cooler Master PCAR-600
and this is how my fans are set up.
1.one 80mm intake fan in the front
2.one intake fan in front of my GFX card(this one is slower than the other fan)
3.One CM 120mm exhaust fan in the rear(runs around 1200RPM)
4.and a stock CPU cooler.(runs around 2000 ROM)
5.CPU Air Duct
My CPU temp are on and abt 50c(while only browsing).

my Q's are
-is the CPU temp OK?my room temp is 30c.
-and is it better to have the air duct or an 80mm fan in front of the CPU?(will it disrupt airflow or stress out the intake fan?)
-should my exhaust fan be faster?
-and im planning to replace the front fan with a 120mm one...what do you suggest ?

tq

dayspring1978

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
50 C while browsing? Wow that's high. You could have a heatsink issue with those temps. Did you put the computer together? Might try to reseat the heatsink and reapply thermalpaste.

The exhaust fan spinning @ 1200 RPM is low. Someone recommended Silverstone fans on this forum and I bought them. They are good. I have one 120mm intake and two 80mm exhaust. All three are adjustable, which is a good thing because the 80mm's sound like a high powered vacuum cleaner powered on at full blast! (FM121=120mm and FM81=80mm)

My CPU browsing is around 34-38C and I think that's still too high. As an experiment, I moved one of my 80mm fans to the side port and turned it up on high. My temps dropped to 31C while browsing and 28C on startup after the CPU was off overnight. So I decided to get a better heatsink so I don't go deaf from the sound of this fan!! lol You might try this experiment for yourself.

From what I've always heard when dealing with heat, it can only be a few things. Either poor case air flow, dust, or a poor heatsink. Try the least expensive things first.

RMN4

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
yes i build the system myself.
and by reset you mean re-fix the heat sink?
sry...but do you get the thermal paste in hardware stores?
and my 120mm exhaust came with my Cooler master cabinet.how do i adjust its speed?
the following are my options for a new fan-

GlacialTech UV LED Quiet Fan for Gamers 120mm

Logisys 4 Blue LED - 120mm
Thermaltake Thunderblade - 120mm3 BLUE LED FAN
Scythe S-Flex SFF21F - 120mm
Scythe Kaze-Jyuni SY1225SL12SH - 120mm

what do you suggest?
and again... is it better to have the air duct or an 80mm fan in front of the CPU?(will it disrupt airflow or stress out the intake fan?)

thank you
what good is the S-FLEX™ on Scythe?

dayspring1978

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I recommended to you the Silverstone fans FM121 for 120mm and FM81 for 80mm.

I don't know where you live, but I got my Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste from Radio Shack. You can also get it thru newegg.com http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16835100007

You can control your speeds thru Speed Fan IF your fan will spin faster. If not you need another fan with a higher RPM. The Silverstone will spin @ 2500 RPM all the way down to 900 RPM and comes with a controller.

This will show you how to reapply thermal paste. http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm
Remember to make sure BOTH Heat Sink and CPU are completely clean! I use a lint free eye glass cloth and rubbing alcohol.