Video converter forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennyjuan

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
I have some videos on my computer, they are avi video formats, how can I import them to my iPod? any advice?thanks in advance. :bounce:

Solution

Hello again jennyjuan [:tigsounds:4]

My apologies for a delayed response, I'm doing flood relief volunteer work here (Venezuela). Australia got it worse, far worse than we did. My not-so-fortunate neighbors living in the valley below me have no place to live anymore, so we are re-building as fast as we can. Our floods were a few weeks ago, not in the news anymore, but the damage is here to stay.

About video converters...

Sure, I know of more. These days everybody wants the cheapest thing they can get ... or free.
So I gave a mediocre answer to start with.

I like that you are interested in quality. I would expect you have FLAC...

Hello again jennyjuan [:tigsounds:4]

My apologies for a delayed response, I'm doing flood relief volunteer work here (Venezuela). Australia got it worse, far worse than we did. My not-so-fortunate neighbors living in the valley below me have no place to live anymore, so we are re-building as fast as we can. Our floods were a few weeks ago, not in the news anymore, but the damage is here to stay.

About video converters...

Sure, I know of more. These days everybody wants the cheapest thing they can get ... or free.
So I gave a mediocre answer to start with.

I like that you are interested in quality. I would expect you have FLAC files in your computer rather than MP3's.

Back to video conversion...

Have a look at these...

http://www.avsmedia.com/

AKA Avs Video Converter. Technical possibility level=6 out of 10 (my scale) ("DVD Santa" is level 1)
Push-button ease in selecting what you want to do with your file. Allows reasonable control over quality. Selectable video codecs and sound formats for your video. Co$t: USD$59.00

Then there's
E.M. Total Video Converter(Windows) Technical possibility level=10.4 out of 10

This thing can be easy to use, but if you know what you want, it will deliver.
It has the push-button choice of what you want to do with your files also, but there is a big difference.
When you click the "Advanced" button, this thing has 32 different video codecs to choose from, 43 sound formats and can get you lost in settings if you don't keep up. Don't use this while intoxicated. Co$t: USD$29.96 (Standard version). This one is less costly and far more powerful.

Solution
When you say you can't get "good quality", what are you expecting? .avi files are already compressed from the original video, and may not be in good shape to begin with (for a full length movie if you are under 1.5 gig in DIVX, it's not "good" quality). Then you are converting them again to fit in a smaller screen.

If you want good quality, start with an original uncompressed source and convert to iPod.

jmcglaug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Finally getting close to an answer for myself
Recently my company has had to get back into uploading archives of our webinars.
Currently getting good results from gotoWebinar they have gone a long way to compressed WMV file.

I have to protect our product so need to convert to streaming format. Since it is mostly desktop stuff I have the luxury of cutting the fps back to 2fps with only noticeable flaw the jerky cursor.

What I am looking for is a good product that

1) IS VERY FAST average source 30fps wmv is 600Meg to streaming media 150-250 Meg
2) can deliver as minimum of quality loss as possible
I really only need to reduce fps from 30 to 2 while maintaining audio sync
3) Can perform batch
4) will pay for speed and reliability.

a) Cmd command line script operation would be a plus because I could bundle the ftp upload to data center but speed is a must

System Details

Motherboard or Laptop
P6X58D Premium

Motherboard BIOS
AMI 0703

Chipset
N/A

CPU
I7 930

CPU Overclock Speed
stock

CPU Heatsink
Noctua NH-U12P SE1366

CPU Idle Temp
39 C

CPU Load Temp
41 C

Memory Part Number
OCZ3P1366LV6G

Memory Voltage
stock

Video Card(s)
2 Sapphire 5770 Vapor
1 Sapphire 5470

Video Card Speed
stock

Monitor
6 Acer 233HU 2048x1536
Sound Card
On Board

PSU Model Number
******* CMP850 HX

Hard Drive(s)
2x OCZSSD2-1VTX60G; 2x Samsung F1 RAID HE 103UJ 1T; Samsung Spinpoint F3EG HD203WI 2T backup

Optical Drive(s)
LG WH10LS30K BluRay

Other Cooling
N/A

Mods
N/A

Operating System
Win 7 Ultimate 64

jmcglaug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
After much testing I decided to buy AVS4You
The one thing that was a must was the ability to convert GoToWebinar Citrix codec to another video format. They did a far better quality job and faster than any other converter I had at my disposal.

I originally was having to do a two pass process to be able to get a fast convert to FLV but am now able to run three simultaneous avs video conversions nearly using up all the hyper thread of i7 direct citrix wmv to flv.

I can take a 300 Meg /hour file and convert to < 100 M 3 fps FLV to be uploaded to our servers. Since it is desktop views this works perfectly.

The one draw back on AVS is there batch process, I believe I have uncovered a bug which cause the app to give up cpu utilization for each additional file added to queue. It also runs the queue serially and not in parallel. This might be a reservation or not, we'll see what the answer is, but as a workaround I run three simultaneous converters and am able to convert 12 hours of programming in about 2 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.