XFX 780i Motherboard.
Kingston HyperX RAM 1066Mhz.
Zotac GTX260 216 Edition.
Corsair 450W VX Power Supply.
Western Digital Blue 320GB Hard Drive.
Antec 900 Gamers Case.
Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7.
DVD/R Drive.

OK so i ran prime95 blend tests with the clock above and it was stable. However in game (UT3) it froze within 10 minutes. I have GPU at stock and the newest drivers. I then clocked at 3.0 and it ran much longer with no freeze (then i quit). Temps are great so no issue there.

Any help would be great.

More about : prime95 stable games

October 21, 2009 6:45:39 PM

How long did you run blend test? You should also run small FFTs to fully stress the cpu. To be sure it's stable you should run the test for at least 12h, and ideally 24h.
m
l
October 21, 2009 6:49:43 PM

orangegator said:
How long did you run blend test? You should also run small FFTs to fully stress the cpu. To be sure it's stable you should run the test for at least 12h, and ideally 24h.

I ran it for about 7 hours i think, but can i just ask; if its stable under prime for that long should it realy only last 10 minutes in game?
m
l
Related resources
October 21, 2009 8:56:13 PM

jamespage17 said:
I ran it for about 7 hours i think, but can i just ask; if its stable under prime for that long should it realy only last 10 minutes in game?

Try running Futuremark vantage to stress the GPU. The cpu might not be the problem. Your GPU might be overheating.
m
l
October 21, 2009 9:12:17 PM

cory1234 said:
Try running Futuremark vantage to stress the GPU. The cpu might not be the problem. Your GPU might be overheating.

His first post states that the gpu is at stock and that dropping the cpu from 3.15 to 3.0ghz fixes the problem. So, the gpu isn't the cause.

@OP: The game may stress the cpu more or differently than blend, so it can certainly fail faster.
m
l
October 21, 2009 9:15:24 PM

cory1234 said:

I,ve ran 3dmark06 plenty of times snd it seems ok, evga precision states idle temps are ~37C.
m
l
October 21, 2009 9:16:13 PM

orangegator said:
His first post states that the gpu is at stock and that dropping the cpu from 3.15 to 3.0ghz fixes the problem. So, the gpu isn't the cause.

@OP: The game may stress the cpu more or differently than blend, so it can certainly fail faster.

Oh ok, so should i try upping the vcore even more?
m
l
October 21, 2009 9:19:54 PM

jamespage17 said:
Oh ok, so should i try upping the vcore even more?

I never said that. I have no idea what all your current oc settings are. All I can say is that your overclock is not fully stable. Follow the overclocking guide to get a safe maximum desired overclock.
m
l
October 21, 2009 9:28:13 PM

orangegator said:
I never said that. I have no idea what all your current oc settings are. All I can say is that your overclock is not fully stable. Follow the overclocking guide to get a safe maximum desired overclock.

I know you never said it, i just wanted your opinion with regards to vcore, thanks ill take a look at the guide.
m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
a c 197 K Overclocking
October 22, 2009 4:37:32 PM

That's really not much of an OC for a Q6600. I can run mine at 3.0 GHz with the stock cooler.

I wonder ...

Is your memory clock setting on AUTO? Try either the LINKED setting or MANUAL, then enter twice the value of the FSB frequency in the memory clock field.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 23, 2009 5:51:08 PM

Guys,

So far, no one has explained the difference between Prime95 Small FFT's, and Prime95 Blend, which is the default stress test. Since amespage17 has referred to "Prime95" in generic terms, I think he has missed the point. orangegator had it pegged in his first post, but then the thread went off on a tangent.

amespage17,

Prime95 Small FFT's is a tortue test designed to primarily stress the processor, while Prime95 Blend is a torture test designed to primarily stress the memory. As I explained above, Blend is the default test, so Small FFT's must be selected manually. Also, be sure to click on "Advanced", then click on "Round off checking" so that errors will be flagged as they occur.

If you haven't yet run Small FFT's, then it's likely it will reveal that your Vcore needs to be increase, as has already been suggested.

Comp :sol: 
m
l
January 29, 2010 6:25:52 PM

Well I could be very wrong and I often am but....

Your PSU puts out only 32 amps on the main 12v which a lot of is being directed towards your 260gtx while you are in game

When you increase the voltage and frequency of your CPU you are using more power (obviously)

I really think this sounds like you are overloading your PSU cause during prime 95 your 260 is in powersave thus allowing the CPU
to use as much power as it wants. In 3d games the 260gtx starts to suck up a ton of your amps and your PSU is just not able
to maintain such a heavy draw.

Corsair PSU = win ( I have the 850watt) but I think your 450 might be a little small for this fight

m
l
January 29, 2010 6:30:41 PM

waynewarrior78 said:

Your PSU puts out only 32 amps on the main 12v which a lot of is being directed towards your 260gtx while you are in game

When you increase the voltage and frequency of your CPU you are using more power (obviously)

I really think this sounds like you are overloading your PSU cause during prime 95 your 260 is in powersave thus allowing the CPU
to use as much power as it wants. In 3d games the 260gtx starts to suck up a ton of your amps and your PSU is just not able

Corsair PSU = win ( I have the 850watt) but I think your 450 might be a little small for this fight

Thanks for the reply. I have now upgraded to the 750tx. and have added a second gtx 260. seems much more stable, but stil some issues every now and then, im thinking i have 1 faulty gtx 260 since i aslo get screen tearing on my acer 60hz monitor.
m
l
February 6, 2010 7:12:40 AM

waynewarrior78 said:

I was halfway done typing this when I realized someone else already said it. =) What games are you running? Is your PSU SLI certified/ready?
m
l
February 6, 2010 2:52:55 PM

jamespage17 said:
Thanks for the reply. I have now upgraded to the 750tx. and have added a second gtx 260. seems much more stable, but stil some issues every now and then, im thinking i have 1 faulty gtx 260 since i aslo get screen tearing on my acer 60hz monitor.

Make sure you turn vsync on in the games you are getting screen tearing in. Works every time, most of the time!
m
l
!