Can't enable CPU Host Clock Control

SpidersWeb

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
This was rather frustrating last night.

Basically if I enable CPU Host Clock Control the machine fails to start. Even if all the settings are the same as defaults, e.g. 333 x 9.5. Oddly this has a lot to do with my new video card install. So please have a read and let me know your ideas.

For anyone who missed it, two days ago I forgot to plug in the fan on my nVidia Geforce 9400GT, and it died a firey death. However even with it limping along, the machine booted at 533 x 8, and was it's usual self (its just the display would vanish after 2 minutes).

So I installed an Asus/Ati HD4770 in its place. I hooked up the 6 pin PCI-E connector correctly and have double checked this.

With CPU Host Clock Control disabled, the video card initialises after the memory test and after the BIOS has beeped (I'm not sure if that's normal with Radeons or not). The computer starts fine, and is dead stable (I did testing with prime 95).

If I enable CPU Host Clock Control without even changing anything else (FSB 333, PCIE 100, tried RAM in lots of different modes), it starts as normal but at the point where the video card usually initialises it just shuts off, resets to its fail safe settings and boots (or goes to BIOS if I press DEL).

If I use Gigabyte's overclock tool in Windows, the overclocks works fine, but in manual mode it wont work after installing the 4770. It's not the end of the world but it's frustrating and I'm looking for answers or at least ideas.

Thanks for reading :)

Spec:
CPU - E8500 @ 3.16Ghz (for this I've lowered my settings back to stock)
MB - Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR (F5 BIOS, also tried the latest F7 BIOS, no change)
PSU - OCZ ModXStream 600W modular
GPU - Asus HD4770 Formula (yes it's the one with the car on the heatsink :pt1cable: )

(Remember with the blown Geforce 9400GT, it still starts at full go, the change is the video card)

SpidersWeb

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
The only PCI-E voltage option I have is the PCI-E Clock Voltage.
I left it at it's default setting of 700mV. I also tried 800mV. No change.

Clock freq for PCI-E I've tried Auto and Locked 100.
When I get home tonight I might try some different frequencies like 90 or 110.

SpidersWeb

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Yes. It was stable at 4.26Ghz for ages.
But that's not the issue.
If I enable CPU Host Clock Control and leave it at default settings (333) it wont boot. Its not overclocking thats the issue, its wether this option is enabled or disbaled. All of my overclocked settings are completely gone.

It also stops when the video card initialises, the BIOS has already done the RAM test and beeped by this stage.

I have flashed the BIOS and loaded failsafe settings then set this to enabled - fails to start with the HD4770 but is fine with the 9400GT.

SpidersWeb

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Ok home now, did some more testing.

This is frustrating, and I hate the fact I don't understand the issue.

I tried 90, 95, 100. 105, 110Mhz PCI-E clocks, no improvement.
Tried raising the PCI-E clock voltage, no improvement.
Put the nVidia card back in, and no problem, booted up overclocked to around 3.8Ghz - I'd honestly just keep this card in, but it only works for around 2 minutes at a time.

So I'm back on the Radeon.

Also nobody answered my other question, every card I've had before this brings up a little message, e.g. 'nVidia 9400GT 512Mb' or similar, then I go to BIOS. WIth this card my display stays blank and doesn't initialise until half way through the BIOS startup - e.g. RAM test finished, system beeps, video card turns on, then hard drives, then boot. I'm used to video being first.

Is this normal for these cards??

SpidersWeb

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
I wish I did jsc.
Unfortunately don't have any computer enthusiast friends as I just rejoined the hobby a few months back.
My co-workers are either Apple users, HTPC people, or one guy who runs linux on an Athlon XP. So no Radeon's floating about.

I'm waiting on responses from Gigabyte and Asus.
I'm just not sure what part is at fault here, it could be the motherboard since its that setting, it could be the video card since it only happens with it, or it could even be the power supply.

All parts are under warranty so I should be able to return bits, I just don't know which ones! (and while I do, I'm computerless and run the risk of the same problem again still). I should probably email my retailer, find out what he thinks as well. Should also point out that I'm financially screwed until December, (I love lawyers), so buying parts to try out isn't a big option either.

In the meantime I'm stuck at 3.16Ghz, which is no big deal, just somewhat taking the fun factor out of my build.

SpidersWeb

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
I have flashed the BIOS twice with F7 and F5 versions.
You don't get more cleared than that :)

Thanks for the reply though!

Will be interesting to see if Asus or Gigabyte say anything other than blaming the other ones product.

SpidersWeb

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Asus replied. They've said to:

- check for BIOS updates for other hardware (done)
- clean PCI-E connector with an eraser/rubber
- try card in a different PC

I don't have much faith in number 2 but will try it anyway. For number 3 I'm gonna have to sneak in to work during the long weekend and accidently slip it in to my work PC.

If I have no luck I'm just planning to buy a new motherboard and sell the Gigabyte. I'm thinking its the motherboard, as I can't find posts about this card having problems (besides people not knowing to disable on-board video etc), but if I search for 'Gigabyte Host Clock Control' etc I can find a few others with the exact same issue and no solutions. Not just with my board, but also the P35 version. There's were new computer builds, so they'd be unaware of the association to what video card is used.

SpidersWeb

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Gigabyte replied too, they said since it works with a different video card, the problem must be the video card! I totally understand why they said this but at the same time 'grrrrrrrrrr!!!!!'

Going to thank both of them for their efforts, but I've made a decision.
Will replace the motherboard. If the card fails on the new motherboard, I"ll RMA it.

Reason I'm replacing the motherboard is because I'm sick of the random audio problems I've had (e.g. 'An audio device has been disconnected' when listening to music) and I'm sick of the on-board ITE chip showing stupid numbers randomly (once every 30 seconds or so it'll show a crazy value then go back to normal straight away, its not a problem just doesn't scream quality and is kind of annoying).

Image for you to lol at, note my CPU fan was not actually doing 225,000rpm, pretty sure I'd have heard that. Also my NB/CPU never get down to 0C or as high as 79C. Also fan ports 1,2, and 3 aren't even connected to anything.

hwmonitor_snapshot.jpg

The 19C current value is correct though, its cold in here and I have been working on it, so the case lid is off, its on its side, and there is a 120mm fan blowing directly on the NB cooler (Xigmatech Porter with two heatpipes).

Looking at ordering an Asus P5Q Pro Turbo. The turbo switch function is perfect for me as well, because I don't need to be running the voltages/bus speed so high if the machine is simply being left on to do downloads. I hope it works as well as advertised, I also hope the factory P45 heatsink will cope at 533, because installing the Xigmatech is an a**hole and I'd have to cut a heat pipe. It looks a lot better than what was on the Gigabyte when I bought it.

Also gives me another PCI-E slot, so I can have two "Formula 1 shaped heatsink cover" graphics cards and race them.
I told my co-workers I will paint it red, red cars go faster.

SpidersWeb

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
meh changed my mind.
I'm good like that.

Did some reading, and if I want to keep my high bus speeds when I upgrade to a quad, reviews show the board I have is more likely to do it than other models (without spending large).

So I ordered a Sapphire 4850 512Mb, just the cheap one not Vapor-X etc, and an Artic Cooling Twin Turbo (so it'll be as noise free as the Asus 4770 Formula is now). Changing video cards is also a lot easier than motherboards.

If it works, I'll return the 4770. If it doesn't work, I'll return the motherboard for a replacement and sell the 4770 (can't return a product that's not faulty really).

If the sound issue pisses me off enough, I'll buy a sound card.
I can live with the crazy numbers in HWMon occasionally appearing.