Sign in with
Your question

Cosmos S fan arrangement. Help me please!!!

Last response: in Systems
August 16, 2008 4:53:10 AM

Hey dudes. I am so psyched to order my PC in a week and I have some questions about fan arrangement (case and HSF).

Unfortunately, at the time, the Cosmos S's side panel is not wide enough for HSFs over 12" in height, very much like my TRUE 120 BLACK. This means that until Cooler Master get's off their lazy asses, I'll either be running it without the side panel, or remove the side 200mm intake fan.

I would like to note, though, from reading forums I have found out that New Egg apparently has the revision that fixed the HSF problem. I am awaiting a response from New Egg about that but let's just assume that I cant use the side fan, okay?

I have decided i am going to order 5 A.C. Ryan Blackfire4 Kameleon Blue LED 120mm fans to replace all stock fans and fill in empty spaces.

I know that it is possible to mount a fan on the bottom between the PSU and the drive bay but I think i have to use a fan bracket made for the case; too much work. Does anyone know if I can just screw a fan to the floor without the bracket? Or just use some zip ties?

I have taken the liberty of weaving a magical, epic MS Paint masterpiece of the fan arrangement for the case.

Please, comment, compliment, or criticize the setup and please let me know how it can be modified to optimize my air flow.

KEY : Red = Intake Grey = Exhaust

Thanks very much to any to reply.

More about : cosmos fan arrangement

August 16, 2008 7:12:21 AM

If you can't use the side fan, how about a high flow pci slot cooling fan? Also a 120mm or 80mm exhaust fan directly under the psu. I've not used that case before, but using an exhaust fan to pull air underneath the psu always has given me positive results. IE, if I didn't, sometimes the psu would overheat gradually or cause reboots.
August 16, 2008 7:31:55 AM

meh the slot coolers imo look tacky
Related resources
August 16, 2008 8:52:49 AM

Hello,

I just did a build with the Cosmos S case (nice case). I swapped the stock fans for XIGAMATEK XSF-F1251 120 mm fans

I kept the stock front hard drive fan (had red LED light).

The set up that I have is:
-Stock 120 mm hard cage fan ---> blows in
-extra bottom fan between PSU and hard drive cage ----> blows in
-back fan ---> blows out
-3 fans top panel ---> blows out
-kept side panel 240 mm fan -----> blows in
-PSU fan -----> blows out

I have a XIGMATEK S1283 CPU cooler and no problem with fit.....not sure why you have to ditch the side panel issue. Maybe I am not understanding your problem. :( 

*The extra fan that I added on the bottom between PSU and hard drive cage needed NO extra hardware. There is mounting holes there already. You can buy a plastic shroud to direct the airflow from this fan, but is not required to mount the fan.
August 16, 2008 5:59:07 PM

Nytmare said:
Hello,

I just did a build with the Cosmos S case (nice case). I swapped the stock fans for XIGAMATEK XSF-F1251 120 mm fans

I kept the stock front hard drive fan (had red LED light).

The set up that I have is:
-Stock 120 mm hard cage fan ---> blows in
-extra bottom fan between PSU and hard drive cage ----> blows in
-back fan ---> blows out
-3 fans top panel ---> blows out
-kept side panel 240 mm fan -----> blows in
-PSU fan -----> blows out

I have a XIGMATEK S1283 CPU cooler and no problem with fit.....not sure why you have to ditch the side panel issue. Maybe I am not understanding your problem. :( 

*The extra fan that I added on the bottom between PSU and hard drive cage needed NO extra hardware. There is mounting holes there already. You can buy a plastic shroud to direct the airflow from this fan, but is not required to mount the fan.

That's good to know about not needing any special hardware to put a fan on the bottom.
The problem is that my CPU cooler is too tall and would be blocking my side panel from being put on.
August 16, 2008 7:00:31 PM

The Xigmatek S1283 CPU cooler fits fine in the case. It seems to be one of the more recommended CPU coolers here. The cooler and retention bracket would run a total $50.00 on Newegg.

I would be very reluctant to not use the side panel 240 mm fan. It is your main air imput aside from the front hard drive cage 120 mm fan.
August 16, 2008 9:03:53 PM

Yeah believe me, I wish I could use the side fan. I may be able to cut some plastic away on the side fan casing.
!