Corsair HX520W Temp Question...

jagnet

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
Hello,

I purchased the Corsair HX520W PSU yesterday and I must say I am very impressed with this model. Seems to be Rock solid and the 120mm Fan really moves some air.I just have one question directed to all the other HX520 owners... Does this PSU run fairly warm by default?? My rig consists of the following:

Asus M2N-E Mobo
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ EE (2.8GHZ, 65nm, 65W)
2GB (2x1GB) Crucial DDR2 - 667MHZ RAM (Yeah I know, crappy Ram)
Sapphire Radeon HD 3870 512MB GDDR4 Single Slot Solution
Corsair HX520W PSU
LG 20X SATA2 DVD Burner with Lightscribe
Seagate SATA2 160GB Hard Drive

Everything is running at stock speeds for now.

The PSU isn't overheating at all, it just seems to run fairly warm (as in blowing pretty warm air out the back) I noticed and I'm just curious if that's normal with these units... I've had other PSU's that would barely blow warm air at all when in operation, that's basically the only reason it's making me wonder if it's normal... If it helps any, I've only been running this rig for 1 day so far.

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Jagnet

jagnet

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
"Ultra quiet 120mm double ball-bearing fan delivers excellent airflow at an exceptionally low noise level by varying the RPM in response to temperature. "

So does this mean that it automatically throttles the fan up and down depending on the temps? Cause I notice the fan doesn't seem to be spinning very fast when the rig is idle... (Sorry if noob questions... but won't know if I don't ask)

-Jagnet

col-p-todd

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I have a HX620 and it to hardly spins, but it;s hard to say how warm the air is coming out of the PSU but having the fan on the bottom of the psu instead of to the side like alot of old psu, means that it will get rid of alot of the hot air that is in the case. PSU that have the fan at the back do not get rid of as much hot as a bottom mountend psu. So that might be a reason why.

I build pc's for friends, neighbors, and girlfriends. For the past several years I have used Corsair exclusively. The psu is designed to suck in air and blow it out the back. The fan speed is variable. The rate at which it blows hot air out the back depends on the internal temperature. The hot air is not necessarily from the cpu. It may be hot air from inside the case.

Now, having said that, a lot may depend on the case you have, air flow pattern, and the psu orientation. In a typical top mount the psu fan faces down. It sucks in hot air from inside the case and blows it out the back. The psu helps to cool the interior of the case. However, there is another possibility. I have a large well ventilated case with excellent airflow. The psu is mounted in the bottom. The psu is directly over perforated mesh in the bottom of the case. The fan faces down so it sucks in cool air from the outside and blows warm air out the back. The psu fan is simply cooling the psu and nothing else. Other fans take care of cooling the case and the components.