please check what I got for a new PC, I am a newbie at this!

generalbrando

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
CPU
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-X48-DS4 LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM
Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Vid Card
EVGA 512-P3-N873-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+

CPU Cooler
ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink

Case
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Power Supply
Antec Signature SG850 850W

Hi, thanks for checking out my thread, this is what I have for my new PC, this is going to be the first I biuld a set up sp any comments you have would be very helpful to me.

The one thing that I am sure the least on is the RAM its the one of the few I can find at 1.8v(thats what the manual for the mobo said it had) but could I use a different voltage for the RAM if the RAM is 2.2v or 1.5v would it be fine? cause I wanted to get Ram more suited for gaming.

Thanks a lot.

bdollar

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
couple of questions?

any plans to overclock and what resolution are you gaming at? do you already have hard drive, dvd drive etc? what is your budget? what are you using the computer for?

couple of things I have noticed:

1. need more ram and unless big overclock ddr2 800 is cheaper and will work just as well. even if staying with 32 bit having 3.2 gb (that is how much of the 4gb it will read) is way better than 2.

2. don't know a ton about the gtx+. Check benches against the 4850. i think they are priced pretty similar. but make sure you check them on the resolution you will be playing. comparing at a better or worse doesn't do you any good.

3. will have more opinions about cpu and stuff once i have an idea of budget and use of the computer.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Yes, you can change memory voltage with BIOS and get different memory. I recommend going to Gigabytes website and checking for compatible memory - giga-byte.com - need the dash in middle of name. Memory does have to be compatible enough to boot with one stick to get to BIOS.

It would be helpful to get budget and use as bdollar suggested for others to be more helpful.

If you stick with gigabyte board (I have one and am very happy with it) you sholuld become familiar with gigabye forum at tweaktown.com - they provide invaluable help for users of that mobo - for overclocking or basic issues. I had a memory timing issue when building my system on the 4th of July and got a response in 2 hours - on the 4th of July. If you go there and get help from lsdmeasap tell him hello for me. It would also be a good place to check to make sure your memory works well with board. My memory was on gigabyte list but was know at the site as being problem memory for that board.

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/

generalbrando

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it.
Well my budget is $1200, I don't plan on OCing , and I plan on gaming at 1280x1024.
I am going to run XP pro and I haven't really put any thought on the hard drive yet till i got this down first, but if you know of some good Hard drives please let me know.

Thanks for the RAM info as well, I will check out the 4Gb 800mhz and I will get 2 x 2gb and 800Mhz because I heard that getting 2 sticks of 2gb each is better then getting 4 1gb sticks.

And I'll check out tweaktown.com also

Thanks a lot for all the info bdollar and rockyjohn, I appreciate it.

bdollar

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
hdd - wd 640 gb (best price per gb you can get) around $85

that resolution will work well for your budget. maxing or close to maxing games with a video card you can afford should be no problem. I would recommend the 4850 but i'll be honest, i don't know as much about the gtx+ so i will defer to others. But that price range ($200) should get you plenty for that resolution and leave you open to add another down the road if you want.

like your case

love your mobo. leaves you the ability to upgrade in the future.

850w power supply might be more than you need. i tend to error on the side of more is better than flirting with less but get some opinions because you may be fine with 750w or so.

cpu may be open for debate. in that price range tend to recommend a dual core. if you are mainly gaming you will get as much benefit out of a higher ghz dual core. most games right aren't going to show you an increase by using a quad. e8500 is about $190 so pretty good price difference. That being said i haven't added up all your pricing so if you have the room having a quad to take advantage of what the future may bring isn't a bad move.

Since you're going to the expense of getting a X48 motherboard which supports crossfire (ATI cards only) you should change your Nvidia graphic card to an ATI card. The HD4850 is as good as, or better than, the 9800GTX+ and is running about $20 cheaper and is supported for crossfire by your motherboard.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125224
I also agree about getting the 2x2GB DDR2 800 RAM.
Western Digital 640GB HD SATA
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136218
SATA burner
Save a lot of money going to a Corsair 750w or a PC Power and Cooling 750w Silencer power supply which is plenty for crossfired 4870s and more than enough for crossfired 4850s
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703009
*edit* bdollar beat me to it!
good site to check for info about various things is www.hardwaresecrets.com

generalbrando

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
thanks a lot for the input, I think I'll go with your suggestion and go with the 4850 vid card and the hard drive with the one of the PSUs.

Thanks again

rockyjohn

Distinguished
If you don't already have the software you might consider going to Vista - by all accounts it is now just as good for gaming as XP and you get the added security, features, and support life. You can turn off Aero if you don't want to devote sysem resources to it.