Are two independent Graphics Cards in same mobo Possible?

rojito

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
The thing is I'm a little short on money and I'm interested on HD Audio over an HDMI cable for my HTPC. So my current PC has an 8800GT OC which is better than that new ATI's 4670 that just lunched (79$).
As you should be thinking, I play games that benefit from my current card, but want HD audio capability at low costs, and buying an 4850 is too expensive for me right now.
So, is it possible to have the two cards in the same mobo? One for the monitor (games) and the other one for my Home Theater?
If it's possible, is it very difficult to configure?

If you need to know, I have a Foxconn P35A with 2 PCIE (16X + 4X) I would of course be installing the 4650 on the 4X Slot.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Yes, it is possible to have two GPUs running two seperate displays. The OS (XP vs Vista) is a big deciding factor in if two different drivers can be installed. If you have Vista, you'll need another card that uses the same driver - 8800 GT + 8400, 8500, etc

If you have XP, there is a work-around for installing an nVidia and an ATI driver

rojito

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007

Mmm... Seems a good option (since I got XP), but a difficult one. Do you have any idea where can I find detailed instructions to do that.
By the way, I'm also concerned about the noise and heat issues with the 4850, so that's another factor for not buying it