epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
http://www.matbe.com/articles/lire/1121/comparatif-de-100-processeurs/page1.php

Wow, gotta say, great effort, they covered everything from the QX9770 to Sempron LEs. The article is in French but benchmark charts are a universal language. ;)

Whilst the top of the charts shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, the bottom of the charts just may. It appears Netburst has ripened with age, yes, in the modern age of multi-threaded apps the P4 w/HT has finally overtaken the A64, even in games! :ouch:

dattimr

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
Phenom is looking bad on almost every picture. Geez. Guess I'll wait until Nehalem plus Deneb release before going for a new rig. The future looks very uncertain.

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
Well the top spots are generally covered by the $1000+ QX chips (the E8600 sneaks in for a few gaming tests and non MT apps), so its hardly an apples to apples comparison in terms of price/performance, but it does show how much ground AMD has to make up before it can challenge Intel in the high end, and that is before i7 which will improve on the C2Qs considerably in the MT tests.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Those Sempron LEs looked especially poor. In several cases the older 90nm Sempron would score above higher clocked 65nm LE semprons. Being the user of a Sempron LE-1100, this is sad to see, but TBH for mundane day to day tasks even the Sempron on the bottom of the list is good enough to not get in the way of a good computing experience. The most strenuous computing this Sempron sees is Hulu video, some flash games, and the occasional CD rip.

Ouch. On the Crysis benchmark its like C2D/C2Q all the way. First AMD CPU you see is a X2 6400 which is just below the Pentium E5200. First Phenom is the 9950 that is just below the Pentium E4500. At least in Rainbow 6 the Phenom moves up a few notches.

Best bet for most ppl looking to build now is wait for Deneb and Nehalem.

checkingout

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
Very nice article. It is amazing ALL of the CPU Chips compared in this test. Makes me feel better upgrading from x2 4400+ to an Intel Q9550....as the 4400+ is actually still crankin' along.

BeakerUK

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
*chuckle* nice to see my ageing 6000+ is still fairly respectable when you consider its age. I'll probably drop a Deneb in the board when they get released.

tim924

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008

Or better yet wait for Q9650 price drop,the 9x multiplier and guaranteed EO stepping is the more realistic way!

endyen

Splendid

Hey Reynod, could you pass the salt?

Sure I believe benchies from sites I've never heard of... and nobody gets ripped off on ebay.

And I am sure you have heard of every French PC review site then right?

efeat

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008

If you run the games at a high resolution and high graphics setting, then the limiting factor becomes the GPU, and this test is about processors, not video cards. Running in low resolution means the bottleneck is on the CPU and the only change in score/framerate is because of using a different CPU.

You see the same thing in reverse when video cards are being tested. The graphics settings are maxed to make sure the CPU is not hindering GPU performance and so the only change in performance is due to using a different graphics card.

Eh??

800X600 ??

WTF ...

Next you will be telling me they should have run the FPS test on Doom or Quake ... or DN3D ....

/rofl ... quietly looks for old games for a bit of nostalgia .... emerges from shed 4hrs later with tatty CD and spider bites ... realises XP isn't happy to receive a DOS blessing from the past.

jed

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
Wow, gotta say, great effort, they covered everything from the QX9770 to Sempron LEs. The article is in French but benchmark charts are a universal language. ;)

Whilst the top of the charts shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, the bottom of the charts just may. It appears Netburst has ripened with age, yes, in the modern age of multi-threaded apps the P4 w/HT has finally overtaken the A64, even in games! :ouch:

watch out for jaydeejohn he can spin even this article to make AMD
look good,and there's nothing good about AMD in this one.
I also pointed this out on my post (9950 overclocked it's not what you
think) Here's my problem with most of AMD boy's in the article about the overclocked AMD chips, they pointed out that the 9950 was 200mhz lower and lost in every benchmark, but nothing was said about the 200mhz advantage at stock clock speeds over the Q6600,
and out of 21 benchmarks the 9950 won 8.
Now it may be me but that's not good at all for the phenom, because
if you increase the clock speed on the Q6600 to equal the 9950 it will
win no benchmarks at all.
So clock for clock it can't beat the Q6600 and can't overclock as good,
now where is the phenom better at all.

Just_An_Engineer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008

You would do well not to call out other forum members who have been around a lot longer than you and have provided a lot of useful information and commentary in the past. From what I can tell all you have done is start flame wars.

jed

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
You would do well not to call out other forum members who have been around a lot longer than you and have provided a lot of useful information and commentary in the past. From what I can tell all you have done is start flame wars.

so let me get this right because he's ben around awhile that make
him correct about everything that he say, and because i'm new,and
disagree with jaydee all i'm doing is flame baiting.
remember you and jaydee where new at one time to, and then you thought your comments matter in this forum to.

endyen

Splendid

Jaydee has been around a while. Many of his posts have been quite usefull.
He has earned some respect.
It is true that he has a slight leaning towards AMD. Most here do lean one way or another.
From the posts I've seen from you, it might appear that your leaning is anti-jaydee.
I'm sure that that is not your intent, but it might be wise for you to go easy for a bit.

Just_An_Engineer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008

You are entitled to your opinion and have just as much right to post about it as everyone else here. What I'm saying is that your chosen method of stating your opinion by calling out and attacking other forum members is not going to win you any friends here.