Shutting down and restarting problems.

cigarjohn

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
Hello smart people. I need your help.

Scenario #1) When I load a software program into my computer and a message pops up saying, "Do you want to restart now". And when I hit the "YES" key, my system will start the restarting process. Then my monitor will go blank and will say no signal. But my computer stays on and won't restart unless I manually push the restart button.

Scenario #2) When I go to my start menu and hit the shutdown tab, my monitor says, "windows is shutting down". Then my monitor goes blank but my computer is still running and I have to press my power button for 4 seconds to force my computer to shutdown.

I've installed my software three different times. All clean installs.

This has never happened before to me. All a sudden its happening to me now and its getting annoying.

Can anyone give me any advice on how to remedy this problem I"m having?

My system:

Mobo - Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
Vid Card - Nvidia 8800 GTX
Windows XP Pro
CPU Socket 939
Sound: Creative Audigy 4Pro

Bios: 1805. I knew I shouldn't have played around with my bios. I'm sending away for a new bios chip and bring back my bios to its original version which is 1011.

I guess you can't go backwards and flash old bios versions. Its not working for me.

Peace.

cigarjohn

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
Well, when it shuts down it usually tells me if its installing updates. But a few weeks ago, it would only take about 10 to 30 seconds to shutdown or reset. Now, the screen goes blank, then a messages appears saying, "No Signal" then the harddrive light stops blinking but the computer is still on.