Games won't run for me

Claudius

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
I installed the Witcher and when I run it the program tries to install a driver and then tells me I have 'insufficient privileges' and fails.

Nothing on my steam list will load up and run.

Not sure what to do.

Run the Steam client with administrative rights. Despite you loading the program up under a user account that is technically an "administrator", you still have to specify that you want to run the program with full administrative rights, unless you disable UAC.

Claudius

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009

two things:

1) I was having the administrator issue with the Witcher, which wasn't installed on Steam, but off a DVD ROM

2) How do you run the Steam client with administrative rights?

Right click on the executable and select 'Run as administrator'.

vista_updated.JPG

dirtdiver

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Steam and Win7 just generally don't get along that well. Hopefully steam and it's (almost weekly) updates will pinpoint the errors and fix this. I have had issues launching and playing steam games every since my install of Win7ult64. Usually the game will play for a short bit and crash given the "hl2.exe has caused an error" or "___.exe has stopped working" etc etc. Originally, I couldn't launch Counter Strike Source in 1920x1080--I had to manually lower my resolution on my desktop, and unplug my second monitor. Then, and only then, would it launch. VERY frustrating to troubleshoot these errors.

Strange.... running 7 Ultimate x64 here and I haven't had a single problem with Steam on my main desktop, or my laptop.

dirtdiver

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
@ Prophecy;

Do you play CS:S or DiRT 2? If so, which resolution, and on how many monitors? I think it is a resolution/dual monitor issue on my end. My original issues of not being able to load games seems to have decreased with the recent steam updates.

G

tagesprotection.com it worked for me i read to download it from another site it worked i can play the witcher now but when im playing the game it likes to crash every so often windows 7 FTW really annoying