Your question

Games won't run for me

Tags:
  • Games
  • Steam
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
December 10, 2009 1:01:35 AM

I installed the Witcher and when I run it the program tries to install a driver and then tells me I have 'insufficient privileges' and fails.

Nothing on my steam list will load up and run.

Not sure what to do.

More about : games run

a c 225 $ Windows 7
December 10, 2009 1:28:20 AM

Run the Steam client with administrative rights. Despite you loading the program up under a user account that is technically an "administrator", you still have to specify that you want to run the program with full administrative rights, unless you disable UAC.
m
l
December 10, 2009 8:05:36 AM

The_Prophecy said:
Run the Steam client with administrative rights. Despite you loading the program up under a user account that is technically an "administrator", you still have to specify that you want to run the program with full administrative rights, unless you disable UAC.

two things:

1) I was having the administrator issue with the Witcher, which wasn't installed on Steam, but off a DVD ROM

2) How do you run the Steam client with administrative rights?
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
December 10, 2009 9:03:52 AM

Right click on the executable and select 'Run as administrator'.

m
l
December 10, 2009 9:06:43 AM

Thanks.

Well running as admin did not fix the steam problem.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 10, 2009 9:11:18 AM

If you installed the game from a DVD and not through Steam, you will need to run game as admin, not Steam.
Steam will have nothing to do with your game in this case.
m
l
December 10, 2009 11:13:31 AM

Steam and Win7 just generally don't get along that well. Hopefully steam and it's (almost weekly) updates will pinpoint the errors and fix this. I have had issues launching and playing steam games every since my install of Win7ult64. Usually the game will play for a short bit and crash given the "hl2.exe has caused an error" or "___.exe has stopped working" etc etc. Originally, I couldn't launch Counter Strike Source in 1920x1080--I had to manually lower my resolution on my desktop, and unplug my second monitor. Then, and only then, would it launch. VERY frustrating to troubleshoot these errors.
m
l
a c 225 $ Windows 7
December 10, 2009 11:44:58 AM

dirtdiver said:
Steam and Win7 just generally don't get along that well. Hopefully steam and it's (almost weekly) updates will pinpoint the errors and fix this. I have had issues launching and playing steam games every since my install of Win7ult64. Usually the game will play for a short bit and crash given the "hl2.exe has caused an error" or "___.exe has stopped working" etc etc. Originally, I couldn't launch Counter Strike Source in 1920x1080--I had to manually lower my resolution on my desktop, and unplug my second monitor. Then, and only then, would it launch. VERY frustrating to troubleshoot these errors.

Strange.... running 7 Ultimate x64 here and I haven't had a single problem with Steam on my main desktop, or my laptop.
m
l
December 10, 2009 1:49:13 PM

@ Prophecy;

Do you play CS:S or DiRT 2? If so, which resolution, and on how many monitors? I think it is a resolution/dual monitor issue on my end. My original issues of not being able to load games seems to have decreased with the recent steam updates.
m
l
a c 225 $ Windows 7
December 10, 2009 2:04:33 PM

I don't play Dirt 2, but CS:S works fine on my system at 1920 x 1080 with 2 monitors connected.
m
l
December 10, 2009 3:00:01 PM

Interesting. I wonder what could be the issue with my system..I know I am not the only one that has had these issues, which makes it even more strange.
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
January 21, 2010 12:37:04 AM

tagesprotection.com it worked for me i read to download it from another site it worked i can play the witcher now but when im playing the game it likes to crash every so often windows 7 FTW really annoying
m
l