Hi,

I'm stumped.

I run 2 PCs, a desktop and a Portable. They both link to a Netgear Router
via ethernet. Both run XP Professional

I've created a workgroup and when I am using the portable, I can open the
workgroup, click on "Athlon" (my name for the desktop) and send files to and
receive them from my Shared Documents folder on the desktop. This seems to
me to imply that I have no issues with physical connections, with firewalls
or other such matters.

However when seeking to click on or do anything with the portable (called
Tosh) from my Desktop, I get the following unhelpful message. (It really
would have been nice to have been able to Cut and Paste from the Error
message window)

"\\Tosh is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network
resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have
access permissions.

Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at
this computer."

I took off my hat as user, and put on that of "Adminstrator" but my answer
was a shrug of the shoulders. I've no IDEA whether I have permission, nor
how to grant myself such permission. I also don't know whether such
permission is given or withheld to ME (Ian) or my machine. PLEASE could
someone talk me through this, as I've spent some 18 hours trying different
possibilities, reading the helpfiles, reading my Windows books and so on. I
have gone though the process of setting up a network, several times. I
should add that I've not tried to set up any kind of Domain, but to keep
within a simple work group as being the easiest and most appropriate option
for our usage.

Both computers can access the Router setup pages and use it to access the
Internet by the way.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

Malke

Ian Hoare wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm stumped.
>
> I run 2 PCs, a desktop and a Portable. They both link to a Netgear
> Router via ethernet. Both run XP Professional
>
> I've created a workgroup and when I am using the portable, I can open
> the workgroup, click on "Athlon" (my name for the desktop) and send
> files to and receive them from my Shared Documents folder on the
> desktop. This seems to me to imply that I have no issues with physical
> connections, with firewalls or other such matters.
>
> However when seeking to click on or do anything with the portable
> (called
> Tosh) from my Desktop, I get the following unhelpful message. (It
> really would have been nice to have been able to Cut and Paste from
> the Error message window)
>
> "\\Tosh is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
> network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out
> if you have access permissions.
>
> Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type
> at this computer."
(snip)
> Both computers can access the Router setup pages and use it to access
> the Internet by the way.

Since both machines use XP Pro, make sure the Use Simple Sharing option
is identical on both. Find that setting in Folder Options. If you
disable Simple Sharing (what I do because I have a mixed OS network),
then all you need to do is create identical user accounts/passwords on
each machine. Here is a link to help you:

(Pro)

And do check your firewall configuration one more time. Make sure you
aren't running a third-party firewall that you don't know about. For
instance, Norton Antivirus has a firewall component called "Internet
Worm Protection" which isn't completely obvious that it is a firewall.
You only want one firewall on a machine.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

> (It really
> would have been nice to have been able to Cut and Paste from the Error
> message window)

Also Ctrl + C copies message boxes. But note only message boxes NOT dialogs that look like a message box (cos the programmer of that dialog would have to add that function). A lot of windows dialogs allow text to be selected and copied. But this is not a general thing (like with message boxes) but added to each dialog on a case by case basis.

"Ian Hoare" <ianhoare@angelfire.com> wrote in message news:kjsdh1145qshhksk774to8v32khnvtkuro@4ax.com...
> Hi,
>
> I'm stumped.
>
> I run 2 PCs, a desktop and a Portable. They both link to a Netgear Router
> via ethernet. Both run XP Professional
>
> I've created a workgroup and when I am using the portable, I can open the
> workgroup, click on "Athlon" (my name for the desktop) and send files to and
> receive them from my Shared Documents folder on the desktop. This seems to
> me to imply that I have no issues with physical connections, with firewalls
> or other such matters.
>
> However when seeking to click on or do anything with the portable (called
> Tosh) from my Desktop, I get the following unhelpful message. (It really
> would have been nice to have been able to Cut and Paste from the Error
> message window)
>
> "\\Tosh is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network
> resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have
> access permissions.
>
> Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at
> this computer."
>
> I took off my hat as user, and put on that of "Adminstrator" but my answer
> was a shrug of the shoulders. I've no IDEA whether I have permission, nor
> how to grant myself such permission. I also don't know whether such
> permission is given or withheld to ME (Ian) or my machine. PLEASE could
> someone talk me through this, as I've spent some 18 hours trying different
> possibilities, reading the helpfiles, reading my Windows books and so on. I
> have gone though the process of setting up a network, several times. I
> should add that I've not tried to set up any kind of Domain, but to keep
> within a simple work group as being the easiest and most appropriate option
> for our usage.
>
> Both computers can access the Router setup pages and use it to access the
> Internet by the way.
>

> --
> All the Best
> Ian Hoare
> http://www.souvigne.com
> mailbox full to avoid spam. try me at website

Salut/Hi David Candy,

le/on Thu, 1 Sep 2005 23:24:17 +1000, tu disais/you said:-

>> (It really
>> would have been nice to have been able to Cut and Paste from the Error
>> message window)
>
>Also Ctrl + C copies message boxes. But note only message boxes NOT dialogs that look like a message box (cos the programmer of that dialog would have to add that function). A lot of windows dialogs allow text to be selected and copied. But this is not a general thing (like with message boxes) but added to each dialog on a case by case basis.

And my access problem? Any ideas, by any chance?

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Malke,

le/on Thu, 01 Sep 2005 06:14:00 -0700, tu disais/you said:-

>> "\\Tosh is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
>> network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out
>> if you have access permissions.
>>
>> Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type
>> at this computer."
>(snip)
>> Both computers can access the Router setup pages and use it to access
>> the Internet by the way.
>>
>Since both machines use XP Pro, make sure the Use Simple Sharing option
>is identical on both.

Thanks for responding. I've had a look and the settings are the same.
Between the last time I wrote and tonight, (I didn't touch the machine
except to check that option) I can no longer see the Toshiba on my "View
workgroup" screen.

>And do check your firewall configuration one more time. Make sure you
>aren't running a third-party firewall that you don't know about.

I am running PC-cillin and indeed it has a firewall component. It's set to
off on my machine. The portable did use Zone Alarm, but I disabled that too
now I that have the Router which is also a firewall.

Thanks for your help.... any ideas?

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

Malke

Ian Hoare wrote:

> Salut/Hi Malke,
>
> le/on Thu, 01 Sep 2005 06:14:00 -0700, tu disais/you said:-
>

>>> "\\Tosh is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
>>> network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find
>>> out if you have access permissions.
>>>
>>> Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon
>>> type at this computer."
>>(snip)
>>> Both computers can access the Router setup pages and use it to
>>> access the Internet by the way.
>>>
>>Since both machines use XP Pro, make sure the Use Simple Sharing
>>option is identical on both.
>
> Thanks for responding. I've had a look and the settings are the same.
> Between the last time I wrote and tonight, (I didn't touch the machine
> except to check that option) I can no longer see the Toshiba on my
> "View workgroup" screen.
>
>>And do check your firewall configuration one more time. Make sure you
>>aren't running a third-party firewall that you don't know about.
>
> I am running PC-cillin and indeed it has a firewall component. It's
> set to off on my machine. The portable did use Zone Alarm, but I
> disabled that too now I that have the Router which is also a firewall.
>
> Thanks for your help.... any ideas?

Can you find Tosh via Search? Do a search for "computers on the network"
and put in Tosh. Looking through the thread, aside from that you said
the Simple Sharing option is the same, I don't see where you said if it
was enabled or disabled. If it is enabled, try disabling it. Then make
identical user accounts and passwords on each machine.

You shouldn't need to disable the firewalls. If you have just a home
router (Linksys, Netgear, etc.) you don't really want to disable the
software firewalls anyway. Instead, you want to set the firewalls to
allow the lan as trusted. I usually allow an IP range; i.e.
192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254.

If you've done all of the above and Search finds (and connects to) Tosh,
abandon Network Places which I find hinky at times. Instead, make a
shortcut to Tosh's shares on the other computer's Desktop. I usually
make a folder cleverly called "Network" and put all my shortcuts in
there.

See if any of that helps.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke answered you re that. I'm not sure her hypothsis is right but was waiting to see what you said about it.

le/on Thu, 01 Sep 2005 20:01:44 -0700, tu disais/you said:-

>> Thanks for your help.... any ideas?
>>
>Can you find Tosh via Search? Do a search for "computers on the network"
>and put in Tosh.

Yup, In folder "unknown"

After misunderstanding the refined search functions, I searched for Tosh
again and found it twice!

In "unknown folder and in folder "forges" (the name of the workgroup I have
set up with the comment "Portable"

Double clicking on it, gave me the usual message.

>the Simple Sharing option is the same, I don't see where you said if it
>was enabled or disabled. If it is enabled, try disabling it.

Done that.

I have set up identical user accounts on both machines. Neither have
passwords. I'll alter the "Ian" account with a simple password and see if
that works.

Later.

Well, I've changed account names on both computers to be identical, with the
same passwords as you suggest, and I stll get identical results. The
portable accesses my desktop just as I'd expect while the Desktop won't let
me log into the portable.

>You shouldn't need to disable the firewalls. If you have just a home
>router (Linksys, Netgear, etc.) you don't really want to disable the
>software firewalls anyway. Instead, you want to set the firewalls to
>allow the lan as trusted. I usually allow an IP range; i.e.
>192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254.

Right I've set that up my desktop.

>If you've done all of the above and Search finds (and connects to) Tosh,

It finds, but won't let me connect to Tosh.

Any other ideas? Is there any way I can disable and then reconfigure?

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

Malke

Ian Hoare wrote:

> Salut/Hi Malke,
>
> le/on Thu, 01 Sep 2005 20:01:44 -0700, tu disais/you said:-
>
>>> Thanks for your help.... any ideas?
>>>
>>Can you find Tosh via Search? Do a search for "computers on the
>>network" and put in Tosh.
>

> Yup, In folder "unknown"
>
> After misunderstanding the refined search functions, I searched for
> Tosh again and found it twice!
>
> In "unknown folder and in folder "forges" (the name of the workgroup I
> have set up with the comment "Portable"
>
> Double clicking on it, gave me the usual message.
>
>>the Simple Sharing option is the same, I don't see where you said if
>>it was enabled or disabled. If it is enabled, try disabling it.
>
> Done that.
>
> I have set up identical user accounts on both machines. Neither have
> passwords. I'll alter the "Ian" account with a simple password and see
> if that works.
>
> Later.
>
> Well, I've changed account names on both computers to be identical,
> with the same passwords as you suggest, and I stll get identical
> results. The portable accesses my desktop just as I'd expect while the
> Desktop won't let me log into the portable.
>
>>You shouldn't need to disable the firewalls. If you have just a home
>>router (Linksys, Netgear, etc.) you don't really want to disable the
>>software firewalls anyway. Instead, you want to set the firewalls to
>>allow the lan as trusted. I usually allow an IP range; i.e.
>>192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254.
>
> Right I've set that up my desktop.
>
>>If you've done all of the above and Search finds (and connects to)
>>Tosh,
>
> It finds, but won't let me connect to Tosh.
>
> Any other ideas? Is there any way I can disable and then reconfigure?

You know Ian, I'm sorry but I just can't visualize what's going wrong
for you. Here is a very good network troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg
Michna:

http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm

Take the time to go through it carefully, and usually it will pinpoint
the problem areas. Then if you can't figure it out, post the results of
the t-shooter and we'll see if we can have an "aha" moment. Otherwise,
it might be time to have a knowledgeable friend (someone *really*
knowledgeable, not someone who just says he is) come over or a
professional. I hate to say this, but normally networking two machines
together - even when they have different operating systems - is really
easy. I just can't see what you're doing wrong. Are you *quite* sure
you don't have a "hidden" firewall somewhere? Since this thread has
gotten old, I'm afraid I don't remember all the things you've tried.

Malke