Distinguished
Aug 31, 2008
I bought a new PC last week
Intel Q6600
2*2gb ram Corsair
ASUS P5Q Pro
CM 600 PSU
nVidia 7300GT

It worked fine for 4-5 hours, but then started rebooting.
Now, if I switch it on, the CPU fan / Cabinet fan / Graphics Card Fan all spin for about 2 seconds, and then stops, and the computer also stops booting. If I remove the card and switch on, everything seems to run fine (but I can't confirm as the monitor wont work without graphics card)
How much possibility is there that this is a PSU related problem (defective piece maybe.. ? )

Quite possible. Thats not the best psu. Since its a new computer I would have them to take a look at it or if you bought it via internet I would contact their customer service and request an RMA.

brownpixel

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2008
thanks for the reply englandr753
I live in a small town, I got the computer through one of my friend from a place a few hundred km away.
I want to be sure if its a PSU problem or something else before I take any action...
I dont think it is a RAM or graphics card related problem, as there are no "beep" sound, its just that the fans spin for 1-2 sec and then goes off...

brownpixel

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2008
Can it be something related to nVidia 7300 by any chance? the card was kept unused for about 6 months... and was used for the first time in this pc...

brownpixel

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2008
Hi,
I'm currently in a place where I can't get any spare thing, my other PC is 3yr old IBM P4 2.8 / 512mb ram. Its PSU wont be able to run my new PC afaik.
And it doesnt have any graphics card that I can test...

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
If I had a computer where I removed the graphics card and it booted I would have to suspect the graphics card as the problem.
This is one of the things where I like to have a small computer speaker handy to plug in and hear the beep codes.
I would say it is time to contact your friend and chat about the computer.

brownpixel

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2008
Computer is worknig fine right now, but is only detecting 2gb of RAM out of the 4gb i have. Posting this from the new pc :-s
Temperatures seem to be normal at around 47C for each core with normal usage. Was at 37C when idle.

The 7300GT doesn't use a separate power connector, so removing it isn't altering the load enough to suggest this is a PSU problem. It might be the slot (bent connectors in it), or something loose on or under the mobo, or possible shipping damage to the mobo (e.g. one or more cracked traces).
The GPU could be overheating as well. Is anything overclocked?

brownpixel

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2008
Everything is at stock speed. The PC is running stable right now at for over 2 hours. I played NFS Carbon at medium settings to test under load, and the PC seemed stable... Will report if I have any problems in a few hours...