New Workstation Build - Is everything compatible?

metro_digital

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
Hi I'm trying to spec out a new workstation and need some professional advice on whether everything I've chosen will work together. The system is for motion graphics/3d animation and will be running on Windows XP64.

Chassis: Antec Performance One P180 Advanced Super Mid Tower - No PSU
PSU: Antec NeoPower 650 Blue Power Supply - 650W
CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5420 Active Processor - 2.5 GHz, 2x6MB, 1333Mhz FSB Processor - Boxed
CPU Cooler: 2x Thermalright HR-01 X Heatsink
Mobo: Intel S5000PSLSATA Star Lake Motherboard w/G + 2LK + SATA2 RAID
RAM: 2x Kingston 2GB DDR2-667 Intel Validated ECC FB-DiMM with AMB Memory Module
GPU: ASUS EN8800GT TOP/G/HTDP/512M GeForce 8800GT 16xPCIE 256-bit 512MB DDR3 w/HDTV + 2DVI
System HDD: Western Digital 300GB VelociRaptor SATA300 16MB 10000RPM Hard Drive
Media HDD: 3X Western Digital 750GB Caviar Black SATA300 32MB Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive in RAID0

The main questions I have are:
1) Will the xeon procesors I have chosen be compatible with the motherboard?
2) Will everything work on Windows XP64 ie. driver support?
3) Can I put only 1 Xeon in the mobo and then get another when I get some extra cash?
4) I would like the workstation to run as quiet as possible, so would you recommend using the Thermalright HR-01X coolers for quieter cooling, & do these coolers support the Xeons I have chosen, and the mobo? Are the stock coolers that come with the Xeons OK for cooling and noise levels?
5) Is the 650W PSU enough power to run this system with good stability?

I had originally planned on going with the ASUS P5E64 WS Evolution Mobo with a Core2Quad Q9450 CPU, but for a little more money I can get the dual Xeon system, which would greatly speed up my work.
Anything else you can think of please suggest it here.

Thanks

I couldn't find the specs for the motherboard. Usually the server boards (esp. 2P) are EATX. EATX will not fin in that case.

1) Will the xeon procesors I have chosen be compatible with the motherboard? Need link to the manual/specs
2) Will everything work on Windows XP64 ie. driver support? Again need specs for motherboard
3) Can I put only 1 Xeon in the mobo and then get another when I get some extra cash? Usually, yes.
4) I would like the workstation to run as quiet as possible, so would you recommend using the Thermalright HR-01X coolers for quieter cooling, & do these coolers support the Xeons I have chosen, and the mobo?Yes. they are 771

Are the stock coolers that come with the Xeons OK for cooling and noise levels?Probably not
5) Is the 650W PSU enough power to run this system with good stability?
Should be enough, but consider a Corsair 750 or a PC Power & Cooling 750

Answers are in bold.

Btw, why the 8800GT?

metro_digital

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
Thanks for the answers, I've checked out the intel support site, and seems the cpus are compatible, and there are x64 drivers available.
Thanks for the link, that looks like one awesome machine there.
I chose the 8800GT because I don't really need a workstation card like a Quadro. I'm more in need of faster rendering times. I'd rather push more money into the CPU's and RAM. The 8800GT seems to be the most value for money for a decent GPU. I'll probably upgrade it soon anyway.

metro_digital

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
Thanks for all the advice. I have ordered the system, and it will hopefully be arriving in the next few days. Here's what I landed up getting...

Chassis: Antec P190 with 1200W (550W+650W) PSU
Motherboard: Intel S5000XVN Workstation board
Processor: Intel Xeon E5420 Active Processor - 2.5 GHz, 2x6MB, 1333Mhz FSB Processor - Boxed
CPU Cooler: Thermalright HR-01 X Heatsink
RAM: 2x Kingston 2GB DDR2-667 Intel Validated ECC FB-DiMM with AMB Memory Module
GPU: XFX PV-T88P-YDD XXX Edition GeForce 8800GT 16xPCIE 256-bit 512MB DDR3 w/HDTV + 2DVI
System HDD: Western Digital 300GB VelociRaptor SATA300 16MB 10000RPM Hard Drive
Media HDD: 4X Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black SATA300 32MB Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive in RAID10

I'll be building it as soon at it arrives, however there is one last thing that I've just suddenly become aware of.
I purchased only 1 CPU for now, but have since read of people not being able to install another CPU later, due to CPU stepping differences. What is CPU stepping, and will this happen to me if I buy the CPU's separately?

Also, if I did install a second CPU later, would I need to reformat my system drive to make windows recognize it?
If I'd have to, I might as well get the second CPU now to avoid these problems. How would I now go about making sure I buy another CPU with the same stepping, as I buy everything online, & have no way of checking. Hopefully someone can help with these questions, as I want the system up & running asap.

Thanks