4GB Corsair DDR Questions.....

nikmondo

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
Hi Guys,

I'm in the middle of upgrading my PC (see here - http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/257073-15-best-card-%C2) and I now have a question about RAM.

Basically i've noticed you can get Corsair 4GB DDR2 XMS2 Twin2X (2x2GB) DDR2 XMS2 6400 CM2X2048-6400C5DHX RAM(see here - http://www.advancetec.co.uk/acatalog/TwinX.html) for a little over £50 so I was wondering if they'll liturally just plug in and play? I already have DDR2 ram installed which came with the PC. Plus will I need to update my PSU or anything like that?

Thanks in advance guys,
Nik

No. Just install with system powered down. The motherboard will select the timings and speed to run the memory; depending on the board, the memory may run slower at 533 instead of 800. Only need to worry about the power supply if adding an extra hardrive or faster video card.

G

in most cases, ddr2 capable motherboards are just plug and play with memory. deciding factors in picking memory can be dictated by your os and motherboard. most ddr2 capable socket 775 and socket am2 motherboards will support up to ddr2-800, but you will want to read up on your motherboards capabilities. many pre-built systems (ie. dell, hp, compaq etc) do not support up to the 800's, and may only support 533 or 667 memory modules. also, how many slots you have for memory, and how large of a stick each slot will handle, along with which version of windows (im guessing youre using windows) will dictate what you can use. windows xp home and pro will only use a total of 3gb memory. this includes the amount of memory you have for a stand alone video card. ie, if you have a 512mb video card, your system will only recognize 2.5gb of system ram, and add the .5gb from your video card. if you want to feasably run more than 2.5gb ram, you need to run a 64 bit version of windows. windows xp pro x64 and server 2003, and vista 64 bit are capable of running (dont quote me on this because ive heard different reports) up to 32gb ram memory. another thing you need to check before dropping in your memory, is the voltage that your motherboard can handle in each memory dimm. i ran into a problem with an old socket 754 gigabyte board with the nforce3 chipset where it wouldnt push the voltage needed to run the memory i had. the board would only crank 2.7 volts, if i manually set it up to that, and the memory needed a minimum of 2.75 volts. didnt work very well, the system would lock up and restart every time you tried to open something that was memory intensive. take these factors into account when looking for ram, and you should be able to upgrade to your hearts content!