Hard drive failure? PSU failure?

dzyness

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
I recently purchased two Seagate 7200rpm 750GB hard drives (about 2 weeks ago.) My 650W PSU only has two SATA power lines, each with two actual connectors, totalling 4 SATA power connectors.

I connected one of the HDDs to a connector on a line and the other HDD on another line with my DVD-R/W drive.

I set these 2 drives up as a RAID0 volume and installed Windows, etc, etc.

Last night, I heard loud clicking sounds from one of the drives and Windows froze shortly after. I proceeded to shut down the computer and check all the connections, then booted up again.

Upon starting up, my mobo's raid manager reported an error with one of my drives so I couldn't start up Windows.

After a lot of switching of cables, I got to the point where I couldn't get both of the drives to be recognized together anymore...

After more mixing of cables, I realized that one of my PSU's SATA lines is no longer working and it fails to power up either one of my drives on either connector.

I ended up connecting both HDDs to the working line and deleting the RAID0 volume and creating another volume. At the moment, the RAID0 volume is functional and there are no errors on bootup.

I am posting to ask what may have possibly caused this problem and how to avoid it in the future? My RAID volume only lasted about 8 days before this happened, so I probably did something terribly wrong or got a faulty drive?

Thanks for reading my long post but I wanted to describe everything as it happened.

Thanks everyone!

It sounds like you have a bad SATA power cable, or maybe the cable connectors, and it sounds like you correctly diagnosed and solved the problem.