first time build of a new computer

DeadlyStriker

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
I have some idea of what parts, i want for my new computer. I would be gaming most of the time. But need help filling in the blanks and what parts fit together the best. any help would be helpful. Thanks

processor
Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850

computer case
Antec Sonata III 500 Black

video card
Radeon HD 4870

Memory
2GB DDR2 667 2 sticks

There are numerous threads here with great ideas. Read some of them and then post back with a fuller list.

It makes little sense to buy a very expensive processor and put it in a budget case though.

If you just like the looks of the case, I can point you to similar looking cases that will do a better job for you.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Agreed about reading around, but I wouldn't spend so much on a processor and so little on the case or memory.

The reason people would buy an Extreme CPU is to overclock the heck out of it. Your memory is not fast enough to even allow this.

Dump the processor and buy a good dual or quad core and overclock it. Get DDR2 800 or DDR2 1066 if you really plan to push your processor.

Vid card is a fine choice, but if you have enough money to blow on a $1000 process, you probably would get more performance from a 4870x2.

Get a better case if you have that kind of $$$: Coolermaster Stacker, Coolermaster Cosmos, Antec 1200, Antec 900, Thermaltake Xaser