Sign in with
Your question

Mac software update problem

Last response: in CPUs
November 1, 2008 4:23:15 AM

I purchased my first Apple about a month ago.
Every so often I get prompted by the computer to allow needed updates.
When I do, and allow for auto restart, I get the update status bar on the screen and the computers says it's
configuring install. Problem is that it seems to get stuck there for HOURS!!!
I finally perform a hard-power-reboot to get the thing running again, but have no idea if the update took.
I kinda doubt it.
Appreciate any assistance.
r/Jedi
a c 127 à CPUs
November 1, 2008 7:19:55 AM

Unfortunately you are in the wrong place. 99% of the peeps here are PC enthusiasts so you wont get much help with Mac and some may be stupid and go into a Mac hating frenzy.

Anyways. I don't know OSX very well but iN Windows XP and Vista there is a way to see the updates that were installed. In XP its under the add/remove programs and in Vista its under the Windows Update system itself.

What I suggest is looking for the Mac update app and opening it and see if there is a possible list that shows all the updates that were installed succesfully and if it was should be listed by date installed so you can pin point it. Other than that I wouldn't be able to tell ya.
November 1, 2008 7:43:55 AM

Time to put that so call apple service into use.
Related resources
November 1, 2008 8:18:52 AM

^ +1
Exactly. A friend of mine has a Mac laptop, and said the outlet store was zero use in diagnosing a simple software problem that I diagnosed via email - having not touched an Apple since the IIgs days. Gotta love the fantasy put out on the TV ads about Mac's not having problems. False advertising rules the modern day, it seems.

Really, not much technological difference on either side of the coin here (Mac/PC), but the psychology of the owner's differ greatly.
a b à CPUs
November 1, 2008 4:18:50 PM

Here is where you should go to ask about problems with Apple brand computers.
Just set up a free account there.You could also join a local Mac user group if one is in your area.
http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa
!