Overclocking asus P5Q w/ Q6600

G

Hi, I've recently purchased a GTX 295 and now I need to overclock my cpu for it not to be a bottlneck for my card.

Anyway, I'm new to the whole overclocking world, I probably spent the whole day reading about it and I decided to try it out.

So I went to my bios setting and did what I learned to do, but everytime I want to change my cpu ratio or my fsb frequency, it just won't let me. It stays on auto. I've tried to change the FSB on the bridge but I still can't get it to work, it's so damn frustrating.

I probably had to reset my Bios atleast 8 times using the motherboard jumpers.

Long story short? I need help with overclocking my Q6600 on my Asus P5Q motherboard. I'd be glad if anyone can help me out. and yes, I have already read a couple of guides on this site and on other sites but to no use, I still can't get it to work.

Anyway, here's my specs: I have Asus P5Q motherboard as I mentioned before, Q6600, GTX 295, Mushkin PC2-6400 5-5-5-18 4GB ddr2-800 MHZ, 900w cooler master psu, Cooler master V8.

daviduk109

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2008
what is the exact model of the board? I have just overclocked my q6600 using an asus p5kpl-am board. The frequency value of the fsb setting was set to 'automatic' but I was able to select it, press 'enter' and then change it from 'automatic' to 'manual'. That allowed me to increase the frequency speed of the fsb (by using the number keypad to type the new value that I wanted the fsb to run at).

If you can establish the exact model of the motherboard then it might be helpful to google the problem to see if anyone else has had similar issues.

Also, how did you come by the pc? did someone build it for you? if the pc was built by someone else, they may have set it up in such a way as to prevent overclocking

ahemsa

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
I have an ASUS P5W DH. It has a section called "jumper free configuration." In there you can set "AI Overclocking" to Manual. You can then adjust the CPU and memory clock on that page. I don't know if yours is the same or not, but it might be similar.

This should be your first stop.
HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - Guide v1.6.1
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240001-29-howto-overclock-quads-duals-guide

Next stop will be a guide for your particular motherboard. Google is your friend.

All voltage settings to MANUAL. I do not believe in overclocking RAM. I recommend setting the mem clock multiplier to 2.00. That keeps the mem clock twice the FSB.
We discuss that here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/251715-29-ratio-myth

Keep vcore under 1.50 volts and keep CPU load temps under 70 C.

Keep in mind that these are guides, not cookbooks. YMMV. Your Mileage May Vary. Because of all the variables, you may not do as well as someone else with a similar system. Or you might do better.
----------
Overclocking since 1978 - Z80 (TRS-80) from 1.77 MHz to 2.01 MHz

ahemsa

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
I just realized that I typed a huge response to something that wasn't even my thread. I feel like such a noob.

TRENDING THREADS