First I'll give my system specs:
q6600 quad 2.4 800mhz fsb (not O/C'd)
9800gtx
4gb ddr2 800mhz
P5Q Deluxe board
750w psu
IDE HDD
SATA optical drive

I am having a problem getting my new P5Q Deluxe to boot from a CD and it will also only boot into the bios with one stick of ram. If I try to boot with 2 sticks of ram I just get a black screen and it doesn't sound like everything is spinning up to speed. I tried the other stick of ram by it self and it works also so I know the stick is good, it won't boot with two sticks of ram using chanels 1 or 2. I'm using GSkill ddr2-800mhz which is on the accepted list in the manual. With one stick everything starts up normally and the bios and basic onboard linux os work fine. I can see the SATA optical drive in the bios as well as the un-formated hdd which is connected by IDE.

Once I get past the intro screen it looks for bootable devices and finds none even with a windows CD in the drive which doesn't sound like it's spinning up. It asks me to insert a bootable device and press any key. I can't boot from the hdd because there is nothing on it. I know all the connections are right and the power supply is more than enough. Does anyone know whats going on?

I should also mention that this is the third board I'm on. The first board was an asus p5n-d which I fried by accident when I was switching the power supply. I replaced it with another p5n-d and had problems with that(I got the same "insert a bootable device and press any key" message) so I figured it was the board. Now I have this board and get the same message but it won't boot with 2 sticks of ram or from a windows cd. I am fairly certain that all the other parts are still functional since I get video, both ram sticks work and I can use the onboard OS which means the CPU is still good. Did I get another defective board?

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
You tried a different SATA port? Make sure its not in the white or orange one, I think those are for the backup software and express gate or something.

Sands

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
I am having the same issues with a new ASUS P5Q3 LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard.

Using G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ.

It sees the Hard drive in BIOs but will not access it or the CDrom or even the floppy.