Computer turns on but won't do anything...

ajm61894

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
I have an "HP Compaq dc7600 Convertible mini tower" (quoted from label on tower) and every time I press the power button to turn it on, the computer beeps 5 times then pauses for 2.5 seconds and then repeats this cycle 4 more times. The entire time (even after it stops beeping), it is flashing red on two lights when they would normally be green.

The keyboard and mouse do not have any sign that the computer is functioning properly (ie. red light under mouse, number lock on keyboard, etc.) but I can here the tower's fans running fine.

The monitor doesn't do anything when the computer is turned on or off.

Pushing the power button does nothing unless I hold it for four seconds and it then shuts off the tower.

I've tried unplugging the power cord and holding the power button for 30 seconds - 1 minute and haven't seen any results. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

mibix19

Distinguished
This is for an AMI Bios. I dont Know if it helps you
5 Short Beeps Your motherboard is complaining. Try reseating the memory and rebooting. If that doesn't help, you should consider another motherboard. You could probably get away with just replacing the CPU, but that's not too cost-effective. Its just time to upgrade!

mibix19

Distinguished
Hi to reseat your memory, open your case and where your memory is slotted unclip them, take them out and put them back in.Also check to see if everything else is secure by pushing the cards onto the motherboard (Checking the seating). Check also the connections are secure. sometimes they look fastened in but are not. Hope that it is nothing more than a loose connection on something.

PrettyUj

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013
I had a similar challenge on one of my user's PC. It beeped 5times, waited for about 2secs and repeated the cycle more than 3 times while it flashed red on two lights instead of green. The monitor had a blank screen also.

To resolve this, I shutdown the system, removed the RAM from the motherboard, restarted the system without the RAM. Then I turned off the system again, re-inserted the RAM (ensuring it was properly seated) and powered on the CPU.
Fortunately, two of the lights were green instead of red.

I hope this works for you...

Cheers!!!