Sign in with
Your question

HOW CAN I RECOVER THE DATA?

Last response: in Storage
January 15, 2010 7:40:02 AM

ALL WAS GOING WELL. I HAD 2 HARD DISK(FUJITSU 18GB + SEAGATE 40GB)I DISCONNECTED AND THEN CONNECTED THE SECONDARY IDE INTERNAL DRIVE (SEAGATE 40GB) WHILE MY COMPUTER WAS SWITCHED ON AND RUNNING. I CONNECTED THE IDE CABLE AND THEN THE POWER CABLE. NOW IN 'MY COMPUTER' IT SAYS 'DRIVE IS NOT FORMATTED WOULD YOU LIKE TO FORMAT IT NOW' HOW CAN I RECOVER THE DATA?

More about : recover data

a b G Storage
January 15, 2010 11:19:26 AM

First off - is it possible for you to write the post without all caps?

Second - I don't understand what you were doing - you switched HDDs (IDE) while the computer was running...am I correct? Is there a reason you didn't swap them with the computer off?

I do not believe IDE drives are hot-swappable. You may be able to repair the drive, but I'm not completely sure what you did to it.
m
l
a b G Storage
January 15, 2010 3:16:05 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking - that you can't pull those cables while it is active. I figured the drive was physically OK, but recovering files can be interesting - working on one right now - it seems that a few sectors went bad on this HDD - unfortunately, it appears that they are the ones containing the MBR and MFT - nothing will recognize it anymore.
m
l
January 18, 2010 4:17:42 AM

sorry for the ' all caps ' . actually i wanted to transfer data from a third ide hard disk to an external usb hard disk. so, i opened up the chasis and i took off the cables from the back of the fixed 2nd hard disk. i fixed those cables to the third ide hard disk and attached the external usb hard disk. after i was done, i forgot to shutdown the computer. I removed the 3rd hard disk and connected the cables back to the second fixed ide drive. then i opened up my computer. i double clicked on the 'd' drive. the message popped up drive 'd' is not formatted, do you want to format it now.
my 'c 'drive is fujitsu disk ( 9gb free out of 18gb ) and drive 'd' is seagate ( 18gb free out of 40gb ). do you reckon that i need a computer with more than 25gb free space on drive 'c' ?
thanks for all your guidance and sorry for the all caps again.
P.S. this computer is my company computer. my boss will be mighty pissed if he comes to know what i have done. " little knowledge is harmful " describes my situation perfectly.
m
l
Related resources
!