Overclocking CPUs

SpidersWeb

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Yes.
But normally overclockers replace their CPU before degradation occurs.
It's also a gradual process, so if you start to feel the effects you can back off to stock settings (e.g. it wont just die one morning).

Because CPUs degrade long after they're off the market, nobody can really provide accurate time frames. Some people are completely relaxed on the issue, other people say 1.45V will kill a 45nm CPU in a week (which I know is rubbish as I ran 1.5V for 3 months - no problems). So be wary on the topic, people often take their opinions on the extreme, it'll be up to you to make the decision and accept any related risks.

Heat is another big contributor too. We have users on here that undervolt and use aftermarket cooling to extend their CPU life (no overclocking). I'd (based on what I saw on Intel charts) expect those machines to last 10+ years. In my case, I'll replace the CPU within 12 months so I don't care.

Do searches for the term "CPU Degradation". That's the term that's used.

Hope that helps

SpidersWeb

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
I know they say this but wanted to also mention that the Intel graphs shown in the Andantech article are constant 100% load, 24 hours, 7 days a week. Most home computers would not be exposed to that level of torture.

It's definately the best article I've seen on the topic.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Good point, however, those who leave their computers on 24/7 for SETI or Folding, both programs do load the cores reasonably well, but certainly not near 100%. I agree though, it is a good article. :sol:

TRENDING THREADS