streaming radio

I have XP, Sp2
I often listen or try to listen to some streaming classical stations. But
there are frequent intervals of silence. Is that likely to be a problem of
Windows Media, my computer, the radio station? Or is it policy so that one
can't copy the music?

Jerome Nadelhaft
5 answers Last reply
More about streaming radio

    Most likely its the internet connection. Media Player will buffer the stream, as much as it can, but if it hits the end of the buffer and there's no new content coming in, or its not coming in fast enough, Media Player will stop playing until it has more to use.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    Jerome Nadelhaft wrote:

    > I have XP, Sp2
    > I often listen or try to listen to some streaming classical stations.
    > But there are frequent intervals of silence. Is that likely to be a
    > problem of Windows Media, my computer, the radio station? Or is it
    > policy so that one can't copy the music?

    None of the above. It's the speed of your internet connection, which can't
    keep up with the amount of data coming down the line.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    are you on dialup or broadband? if dialup, then your connection is probably
    two slow to handle the streaming audio.

    "Jerome Nadelhaft" <jjnadelhaft@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >I have XP, Sp2
    > I often listen or try to listen to some streaming classical stations. But
    > there are frequent intervals of silence. Is that likely to be a problem
    > of Windows Media, my computer, the radio station? Or is it policy so that
    > one can't copy the music?
    >
    > Jerome Nadelhaft

    I'm trying to listen through a dsl connection.

    Jerry Nadelhaft

    On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 10:56:17 -0400, Jerome Nadelhaft wrote:

    > I'm trying to listen through a dsl connection.

    Check that the settings of your media player reflect your DSL connection
    speed. If that's okay and you're still getting delays, this may be due to a
    very busy server or one that's just slow. Have you tried other radio
    stations to see if they are perform at a more normal speed?

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Streaming Radio Windows XP