  • Streaming
  • Radio
  • Windows XP
September 1, 2005 3:13:25 PM

I have XP, Sp2
I often listen or try to listen to some streaming classical stations. But
there are frequent intervals of silence. Is that likely to be a problem of
Windows Media, my computer, the radio station? Or is it policy so that one
can't copy the music?

Jerome Nadelhaft

More about : streaming radio

Anonymous
September 1, 2005 4:07:14 PM

Most likely its the internet connection. Media Player will buffer the stream, as much as it can, but if it hits the end of the buffer and there's no new content coming in, or its not coming in fast enough, Media Player will stop playing until it has more to use.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Jerome Nadelhaft" <jjnadelhaft@verizon.net> wrote in message news:ezGLqewrFHA.2768@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>I have XP, Sp2
> I often listen or try to listen to some streaming classical stations. But
> there are frequent intervals of silence. Is that likely to be a problem of
> Windows Media, my computer, the radio station? Or is it policy so that one
> can't copy the music?
>
> Jerome Nadelhaft

Anonymous
September 1, 2005 9:46:55 PM

Jerome Nadelhaft wrote:

> I have XP, Sp2
> I often listen or try to listen to some streaming classical stations.
> But there are frequent intervals of silence. Is that likely to be a
> problem of Windows Media, my computer, the radio station? Or is it
> policy so that one can't copy the music?

None of the above. It's the speed of your internet connection, which can't
keep up with the amount of data coming down the line.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 11:30:09 PM

are you on dialup or broadband? if dialup, then your connection is probably
two slow to handle the streaming audio.

"Jerome Nadelhaft" <jjnadelhaft@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I have XP, Sp2
> I often listen or try to listen to some streaming classical stations. But
> there are frequent intervals of silence. Is that likely to be a problem
> of Windows Media, my computer, the radio station? Or is it policy so that
> one can't copy the music?
>
> Jerome Nadelhaft

Anonymous
September 2, 2005 11:30:10 PM

I'm trying to listen through a dsl connection.

Jerry Nadelhaft
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 11:30:11 PM

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 10:56:17 -0400, Jerome Nadelhaft wrote:

> I'm trying to listen through a dsl connection.

Check that the settings of your media player reflect your DSL connection
speed. If that's okay and you're still getting delays, this may be due to a
very busy server or one that's just slow. Have you tried other radio
stations to see if they are perform at a more normal speed?

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User