Sign in with
Your question

Problem with ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe

Last response: in Motherboards
December 3, 2008 1:54:21 AM

Hello All,

Problem with ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe that just built a custom system plugged in everything from case onto the motherboard and all power supply cables are plugged into components.
Had no problems was running fine for a few minutes now the motherboard won't boot up at all.. i turn the power on to the power supply, hit the on button and nothing happens and yes the power supply case leaders are in.

There is a quick power/on button on the actual motherboard and it has a red light when you give power to the power supply and a green light on the reset switch (On-board switch.. not case)

I tried pressing the on-board buttons which are lit up but still nothing??? :( 
Anyone who has this motherboard, could you possibly help? is there a kill switch or something i am missing or a jumper or something that might have been switched.

Anything that could possibly make it boot.

PS: CPU is AMD Phenom 9950 BLACK EDITION Quad Core
Btw my friend moved the PC while it was turned on.. and the CPU fan wasn't latched in all the way.. or completely stiff could that be something? I did resink the CPU and still didn't boot so i am so lost with this.

Thanks,
Cameron.
a b V Motherboard
December 3, 2008 2:45:56 AM

You might try flashing the bios. The jumper for this is just above the the lite switches you described on the mobo.

Check your manuel. Make sure turn the power off via PS or unplug from the wall, and pop the onboard battery out.
December 3, 2008 3:48:05 AM

How can i flash the bios i can't even turn the PC on? It don't boot to bios.. it dont boot at all. It don't even get power when i press the power switch on the motherboard or case power but all the cables are incorrectly on the mobo. But when i turn the power supply on the lights on the mobo show (Power & Reset Buttons) but the case doesn't light up.. or nothing.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
December 3, 2008 6:04:35 AM

This isn't the easy flash.

This flash is done with no power to the board, meaning you need to unplug your computer from the wall socket.

1.) Take a deep breath. (I can tell your frustrated, but have no fear this is easy).

2.) Disconnect from the wall (you want no power to your MoBo)

3.) Take your side case off.

4.) Pull the on board battery. (it will be right of your PCI-e slots, left below of the NB/SB heatsink. Bright silver and about the size of a Quarter)

5.) You will see 2 blue caps above and to the right of the power/ reset buttons on the MoBo.
The one on the right has the letters CLRTC, pull it off and move it to the right side set of pins for 5 to 10 seconds. Then move it back to the left, where it started from.

6.) Put the battery back in.

7.) Plug the computer back in.

8.) Cross your fingers.

9.) Hit the power button and hope it posts.
January 7, 2009 12:28:40 PM

I am having the same problem with this board.
I've triple-checked all the connections and cleared the CMOS to no avail. :( 
Has anyone had any luck with this issue?
March 25, 2009 12:33:29 AM

I will almost gaurantee it is a failed CPU. I am running the exact same hardware, motherboard and CPU. Ran into this issue a few weeks ago and with all the diagnostics I ran I thought it was the motherboard. RMA'ed it to ASUS and when it came back was still having the same issue with it not POSTing. Bought an identical motherboard and processor just to be sure. When the new processor came in I installed it into the board I just got back from ASUS and it fired right up. However, just one week later...today...the new processor has failed. Im going through the RMA process now with AMD.

Are you getting any activity when you hit the power button? All my fans spin up including the processor fan. The harddrives spin up and everything like normal, but no post.
July 25, 2009 3:14:12 AM

southcalisurfer said:
I will almost gaurantee it is a failed CPU. I am running the exact same hardware, motherboard and CPU. Ran into this issue a few weeks ago and with all the diagnostics I ran I thought it was the motherboard. RMA'ed it to ASUS and when it came back was still having the same issue with it not POSTing. Bought an identical motherboard and processor just to be sure. When the new processor came in I installed it into the board I just got back from ASUS and it fired right up. However, just one week later...today...the new processor has failed. Im going through the RMA process now with AMD.

Are you getting any activity when you hit the power button? All my fans spin up including the processor fan. The harddrives spin up and everything like normal, but no post.

This is where I am too, jsut got a new cpu but now know it is not the cpu, just about to buy a new motherboard
December 29, 2009 4:47:32 AM

Yep, just seemed to destroy my setup today as well with this same issue. Did F/W update to Rev 1402, a couple of reboots later and everything is caput. Have done all the clear RTC, battery, unplugged eveything, removed memory, unplugged drives. It is just dead. Have ordered a replacement DFI board. Hopefully it is not CPU, but that may be next to go. :pfff: 
a b V Motherboard
December 29, 2009 9:25:55 PM

Did you try just 1 stick of memory? I flashed to 0905 and the board did not default back to 1.8v and killed 1 stick. Or it could be that 1402 is for the C3 stepping of the newer 125w chips and having a compatibility issue.
January 10, 2013 5:40:28 PM

Zephyr_31 said:
I am having the same problem with this board.
I've triple-checked all the connections and cleared the CMOS to no avail. :( 
Has anyone had any luck with this issue?

I figured I'd let everyone know I am having the same problem with this motherboard.

A week ago I installed a new video card, when I went to turn on the machine it did nothing - no power, no fans spinning, etc. I waited a bit, and it turned on eventually. I didn't change anything. It worked for about another week before I went to install a water cooler and then went to turn on the PC - nothing. Except this time it doesn't turn back on. F this thing. I'm going to Best Buy.
!