48xx better than GTX 2xx at AA? Not according to new article

LunaticWolf

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
In Tom's Hardware's new graphics card article, The Fastest 3D Cards Go Head-To-Head, if you look at the page showing the differences between HD4 series and GTX series, you will see a difference that many other benchmarks are not showing. In fact, it shows the opposite.

Once AA is enabled in 1920, the 4850 drops 82.6 total frames, the 4850 drops 91.7 frames, and the GTX 260 drops a total 49.9 FPS. The GTX 280 drops a total of 33.8 FPS

Don't believe me? See for yourself

Also, with $20 instant savings, $20 Promo Code, and a $40 rebate, the oh-so-expensive GTX 260 drops to around $220 dollars, and increases is Price/Performance ratio to almost equal with the 4850.

No argument from me, but when Nvidia put them for sale at an opening cost of $450 they pretty much screwed themselves. People still think of them as noisy, hot, underperforming, expensive and lackluster cards. It goes to show how reputation DOES count and how bad business practices bite a company on the butt for months if not years.

Dekasav

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
A big issue is that they used the Catalyst 8.6 drivers, which don't even officially support the HD 48xx models. Due to that, you can pretty much throw the whole thing out the door. Running hardware without it's intended software (Cat 8.7 or above) for comparison is useless, doesn't show actual performance. That's like saying a remote control car is faster than a Ferrari, when they both using AA batteries, because a Ferrari isn't made to work with batteries, the HD 48xx series isn't made to work with Cat 8.6.

LunaticWolf

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
Thanks for the welcome!

And the driver that was used for Nvidia had a huge downclocking issue in 3d. So that pretty much evens out the playing field. :)

Not trying to start a flame war.

Dekasav

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
No, if the Nvidia drivers supported the GTX2xx's and had a problem, that's Nvidia's fault. The lack of proper ATi drivers is a TH problem, proper ATi drivers were out a month+ before the article was posted.

turboflame

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

This

The HD4800 series has great AA performance so off the bat it was pretty obvious that something was wrong.

The same article also shows that 8800GTs in SLI are faster than two HD4870s in crossfire @ 1680x1050. What the hell was THG doing?

MattC

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2004
Well, since you (who are surely unbiased) say that it "pretty much evens out the playing field," I believe you. So what if, by all accounts, both GPUs were running with bad/incorrect drivers. Looks like NVidia is still the best in every regard!

LunaticWolf

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
I am not blaming TH in anyway here.

Just saying that since BOTH drivers used had issues, it should make the playing field pretty even.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
With the 8.6 drivers Crossfire was barely even operational with these cards, I myself experienced this with two 4850's I used for about 2 days. Performance in games was preety bad/questionable, and my 3dmark scores were quite lower than they are now with 8.7/8.8.

The whole point of that article was to bottleneck them with the CPU, benchmarks on stronger CPU's give the lead to ATI, so I really dont know what the point was in this , or even that Toms Article, besides proving that these Nvidia cards are in 2nd place? The conclusion even gives the 4850 the "winners" title.

Anybody with a respectable system or at least wants to get the full benefit from there $300+ card purchase wont be using a bottlenecking CPU unless they just cant afford it/dont care, and if its the ladder then they dont even apply to this comment.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
So instead of apples and oranges, lets use a watermelon and a kiwi. They both have a similar shape. That should even out the playing field as well. I think... :??:

buzzlightbeer

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007

The HD4000 series is superior in every way to the GT200 series, that article was complete bull and annoyed alot of people.

The heirarchy of using AA between ATI and nVidia is often misunderstood. ...8xAA on ATI should be compared to 8xQAA on nV, not the 8xAA which is 4xMSAA based CSAA mode
...16xAA on ATI effectively turn the card into single chip card which can do 16xMSAA, since both chips render the same frame with different AA patterns
...16xAA on nV is 4xMSAA based CSAA mode and 16xQAA on nV is 8xMSAA based CSAA mode
Like was said earlier, no one cared or thought highly of that article as it shwoed huge flaws in its findings besides using out of date drivers. They probably dont know the difference between driver settings between nVidia and ATI as well. If you doubt what Im saying about the AA differences, Id suggest you go here http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=49008&page=15 sign up and argue with them. Im sure youll learn alot

No1sFanboy

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Where do these first time posters with agendas and promo codes come from?

Will LunticW... read the comments after that article. This community mostly agrees that it was out of date and useless when it was released and two weeks later it is a terrible reference to prove a point.

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004

+1

+10, I agree with you wholeheartedly

You reminded me of this long ago and I was about to post until I saw you did it again, brilliant as usual +1

Been a long time since I was left with no arguments to give, since everyone pretty much laid it out in the open.

LunaticWolf

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008

Well, you know, It's all a conspiracy! Only Toms hardware only tells the truth. It is the only non-biased review site out there. All the other websites are all ATI-biased, spilling lies into your very souls.

I've got my tin-foil hat on tight! what about you?

[/sarcasm]

[offtopic]Someone should make a youtube video of pouring kool-aid into a running computer. It would be awesome to see the guy pouring it get shocked.

That review using outdated drivers and a slow CPU is utter crap. Anyone who takes it as the truth deserves the heartache that follows. Go read a real review from any other reputable site before posting something like this thread.

Look, you have your point of view, which is fine. Go here http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/254932-33-what-charts-gtxs-losing-8800#t1865049 and see what the consensus has been on these charts. I dont think youre going to convince many people here about things using Toms as a link. We all know how old and poorly done they are, its a shame really, but what can you do? If you could show other links, itd be much more compelling, but as it is, like I said, Toms failed with those 2 big time

LunaticWolf

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
Oh, I have already read the comments on the charts. And, of course, I am working on other links to "prove" the truth already listed here at Toms. Just haven't found any non-biased review sites. They all seem to favor the ATI's.

rangers

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

this has to be a joke, and its not because ati cards rock just now, yes all the sites are biased ur right, all the sites are wrong ur clearly deranged