substitute for $500/$650 gaming computer motherboard

outoflove

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
I'm trying to make the 500/650 USD gaming rig that was articled some time ago.

unfortunately, even at just 500 bucks, it's still pricey for me so I have to buy then in batches.

preferably buying just enough to make the PC work then buying the video card later, and maybe more RAM.

anyone have any suggestions on which motherboard to buy with integrated video already that would still be great in overclocking ETC.

or maybe...one with both PCI Express and old AGP slot, I can probably borrow and AGP card.

but I still prefer the integrated video

Some 780g chipset boards for amd work ok with onboard video at the lower resolution settings. This will give you time to save for a better video card and power supply. Sell the agp card. Do a search for a review of 780g chipset boards; generally asus or gigabyte has more overclocking options. Before ordering, download the board manual and read it for memory recommendations and overclocking settings in the bios. This only takes a few minutes.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Here is another Option.....

Full Dell System for $340 Shipped.
Then you can add Graphics Later.

But if you are going to build your own and need to go really low priced.
Then AMD may be the best choice and start with their integrated graphics as mentioned above.

Clearly it will be less powerful than an Intel System, but it will still not be a bad system.

Look on e-bay for used parts. Look for sellers who are upgrading, and just trying to recover some of the cost by selling off their old parts. Know your prices, and check out the seller's feedback and previous sales carefully.

marcellis22

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Yeah, buy used computer parts off E Bay, might as well buy a used gun and bullets and try to shoot yourself in the foot...

The CPU you'll be using would help, but you could do your own search on NewEgg, Computer equipment, motherboards, AMD or Intel, then advanced search...

The graphics on a 790GX board are a little better than what's on the 780G, for not too much more; these boards also have the SB750 which overclocks better. Especially as a temporary solution, if you want to go AMD, this is what I would suggest.
What is your current budget, and how much patience do you have? If you have enough of the latter, you'd be happier to wait until you can afford Intel, but if not you could build a 5400+ AM2 system for ~$400.

outoflove

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
forgot to say that since I'm not from North America, such deals aren't accessible to me so I have to make a decent rig for myself. Computer stores here pretty much are idiots, and call any rig with 512 VRAM a 'gaming machine'

Bear with me if I say that I'm not an advance 'puter tinkerer here.
searching for 780G and 790G on newegg yields... AMD boards.

Not that I'm lazy but I already have a headache looking for a compatible motherboard and I think my head would explode if I replace the Intel processor :cry:
mleh, gonna try later.

Just making sure, when it say's 'Core 2' in the item description, it means it can take in Dual Core processors, right?

There are several variants of the core 2 cpu's. You need to go to the mobo manufacturer's web site and look for a list of supported cpu's for that particular motherboard. This may be different for different revisions of the motherboard, and for different bios levels.

outoflove

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
*bump*

any thoughts on that current motherboard?

seems that there are overclocking options to that mobo as well. The only caveat I see is that it can only take up to 4GB of RAM...

Without knowing what is available to you, it is hard to make recommendations. Micro ATX boards tend to have limitations, but can certainly be used. I had a GA-G33M-DS2R that was pretty good. It could take 8GB of RAM (I only used 2 or maybe 4).