Could sombody recomend me a AMD CPU

TurkzZ

Distinguished
May 12, 2005
Hi

i looking for a new AMD CPU that is Low on the power, iv heard the latest 9950 BE edition runs hot and is power hungry,

so could sombody recomend me a good AMD chip that is "green" , preferbly quad core phenone range

the reason im going AMD is because i can use it with the Nvidia Hybrid power, which i cant seem to find on intel,,,if there is an intel board that supports such a feature please post :)

thanks

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
It's not fast, but green: either the 9150 or the barcelona 2350he that uses only 55 watts by running at a lowly 1800 hertz. Newegg had a cheap Tyan server board for the barcelona but they've sold out.

TurkzZ

Distinguished
May 12, 2005
thanks for the response.

when you say "Hybrid Sli works on intel also" do you mean the Hybrid Power feature, thats the main one im after, so that it doesnt have to use the power hungry graphics cards all the time until they are needed in like gaming.

to be honnest i wouldnt mind getting a cheap AMD cpu now until a better option entres to market but just have the board to support future models.

I also read that Intel chips are better but i cuddnt find a board with the actuall "Hybrid Power technology"

http://www.nvidia.com/object/hybrid_sli_desktop.html

what about these up and comming Dneb (cnt quite remember the name) chips that should be out soon, any world on how "green there be".

The Phenom X4 9100e or the 9350e would be what you're looking for. They are both quad-core Phenoms rated at a 65-watt dissipation. Newegg has the 9350e for $170 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103293)

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
If you really want one NOW, then I suggest you to go with GeForce 8200. MCP78 is the only energy efficient chipset from NVIDIA. However, given the fact what you're looking to build, I think you're looking at building a gaming rig. There are two approaches, depending on what game you want to play. If you're gonna play newer games that supports as many cores as possible, then Phenom 8750 BE would be better fit. If you're looking at older games (COD4, Crysis etc), then Athlon 64 X2 5400+ and above should be enough.

If you can wait for a few months, then watch out for MCP85 and AM3 Deneb/Heka.

TurkzZ

Distinguished
May 12, 2005
ahh its so annoying, if AMD kept the same CPU sokets like Intel do i would build a pc with a real cheap CPU now until the new one comes out and just replace it.

i mean thers AMD2, AMD2+, and now a AMD 3, crazy,

iv had a look round cant find a motherboard at the moment with a AMD3 socket , so annoying, i wish intel done this power tin,

btw is there a diff between the 8200 and 8300 board on the nvidia website it seems its the same even down to the picture used.

bak to cpus lol, any word on when the AM3 Deneb/heka are due out, i hear AMD are generally unreliable when it comes to release dates though.

also is there any word on future Intel using the Nvidia hybrid tech. Also how come it isnt more publisized, izit just me that thinks this is a great idea? lol

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
There is no AM3 out and will not be out until early Q209. Deneb should be announced next month if anything goes as planned, but we all know too well that AMD can't keep their promise.

8300 is basically almost the same to 8200 except clocked higher. I see no real benefit for that. I am using 8200 board from MSI and I suggest you avoiding MSI 8200 boards at all cost. Get the one from Asus.

trinix

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
What will you use the system for. That's the big question. A good green amd quad is the 9100e. For games, I'd go with one of the x2 or if you have time, wait for the new K10 x2 cores, they should be nice.

AMD doesn't change socket that often. The changes seen in the past were all based on ddr changes and one other thing I think. The AM2 line is pretty stable. It's been around for a while and it won't go away soon. The AM2+ is pretty nice too and the AM3 is just too expansive anyway.

Intel changes chipsets all the time and a few of the chipsets aren't compatible (think most are though after a bios update). So with intel you might have the same socket but still can't use it. These things change and when you buy a new computer a board should be considered too, especially with AMD's board prices it shouldn't be a problem.

TurkzZ

Distinguished
May 12, 2005
oh ok,

so basically im thinking to get a AMD+ Mobo, some sort of AMD chip for now untill the Deneb ones come out (im guessing there be some compatible with AMD2+)

as for the chip for now, some sort of all rounder be kl, woudnt quad core be better then the X2 ones?

to be honnest the main game ill be playing till summer will be FM2009. nothing to demanding.