Sign in with
Your question

Can p4 be overclocked ?

Last response: in Overclocking
October 23, 2009 5:29:51 PM

hello everybody :) 
i've an old p4 processor 3.06 GHz... In my old compaq system... i wanted to overclock the processor to squeeze a bit more performance... can p4's be overclocked... the mobo's an MSI MS-7174 that hp has given with the processor... its a socket 775...

i am a novice at overclocking so any links to detailed guide is highly appreciated...

More about : overclocked

October 23, 2009 5:57:10 PM

personally i would say drop in a cheap core2 such as an e5200...it will be much much faster than that p4, run cooler and overclock better. christ even the newest crappy celerons for socket 775 would be better than that p4. im not trying to be an ass, just giving my two cents is all.
m
l
Related resources
October 24, 2009 1:41:46 PM

thanks eagles... i've decided to buy a dual core... thanks for ur advice...
m
l
November 4, 2009 5:36:48 PM

Hey Eagles!
I know it's a sham and all, considering that I work with music applications but, I myself am working with Intel P4. I was wondering, are we able to install http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6819116072 to our computers(upgrade) without modifying nothing else?

I hope so, because I will definitely purchase this product.

Hit me back, please!!

Thanks
m
l
November 6, 2009 3:41:31 AM

how would I find out what socket I have for my p4 2.0 ghz ?
m
l
November 6, 2009 4:53:46 AM

jhandley

You would have to get something of this nature - http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php. It will give you the info you need. I myself use this.
m
l
a b å Intel
a c 197 K Overclocking
November 7, 2009 7:21:42 AM

jhandley said:
how would I find out what socket I have for my p4 2.0 ghz ?

Your motherboard probably has an S478 socket. What that means is that it is time to upgrade.
m
l
November 8, 2009 12:10:09 AM

If you install Cpu-z it should tell you what socket you have,and more details..i guess it'll be a 478.
m
l
November 8, 2009 2:45:29 PM

it is a 478. what are my processor upgrade options? celeron maybe? Im trying to get the most out of this box until the economic cloud lifts here in the states
m
l
November 8, 2009 7:37:38 PM

jhandley said:
it is a 478. what are my processor upgrade options? celeron maybe? Im trying to get the most out of this box until the economic cloud lifts here in the states

The thing is, if we are talking about 478 processors,we cannot expect too much.If you were here,(UK) i could send you my old 478,it's sleeping in my wardrobe,lol.its a 2.8..
I'm not soo sure but i think the fastest 478 socket processor is a 3.0 and 800fsb.
another way to make your pc faster is adding more ram,get as much as you can.
it will make a very good difference.

m
l
November 9, 2009 12:01:35 PM

I just realized that I do not need an upgrade. I'm also working with a P4 and recently my p.c. acquired the blue screen kiss of death or however you say it. Basically it kept me from using my computer. I couldn't even go to my desktop. Anyway's, I found a computer doctor who wiped out my whole system and upgraded me to XP Pro from XP Home Edition and he probably did a few tweaks, but it's running as fast as a MAC right now!

I thought I was going to have to tweak my Cpu Clock. But turns out that I might not need to. Although I might just try it anyway. Just a small bump. So, the moral of this story is, wipe out the system and get some more memory. And you should be good as new...Make sure to back-up everything 1st
m
l
!