Problem with 2x 4870x2

SinMyriad

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
Hello everyone,

I have a strange problem with my computer. Every time I try to play a game, the moment the game starts (most of the time after the logo's, this is different for every game) my monitor seems to lose connection with my graphic cards. The entire screen distorts, sort of like static on a television, but very very bad. These distortions last for a couple of seconds and then my computer reboots.

My system:
Case: Antec Twelve Hundred ATX
PSU: Cooler Master Real Power M1000
Graphics: 2x HD4870X2 in crossfire
CPU: Q9550
Motherboard: X48-DQ6

The strange thing is: This system has been working stable for the past 2 weeks. I have completed Call of Duty 4, Crysis, Dawn of War and Kane's Wrath on it, and played several other games on it as well, without any problem (except some slowdowns in crysis and Kane's Wrath (with 100+ units on the screen)).

Something I've never been certain about is whether my crossfire actually worked, because I was never capable of setting fan speeds of both cards to 50%, only on two of the four gpu's. (when is try to modify the fan speed of my gpu's in the xml files the entire profile just stops working). In the catalyst overdrive, testing custom clocks is also greyed out for 2 of the four gpu's (number 3 and 4, specifically).
I tried 8.8 and 8.9b catalyst. Both have the same problem. When I deactivate crossfire, it seems like the games no longer crash, however, I have not extensively tested this.

After having reinstalled catalyst 8.8 (after having removed everything and running drive cleaner + some reboots inbetween) it seemed like it didn't happen anymore, however, about an hour into dawn of war and it happened again.

Possible causes I've considered:
- Card gets to warm: I set fan speed to 50% and regularly check temp, was never a problem. Besides, the problem comes up almost immediately (at first anyway).
-The PSU is insufficient: I'm not sure about this one. Is it insufficient? But why did it work stable for 2 weeks then?

So, any help would be appreciated

optimist

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003
-The PSU is insufficient: I'm not sure about this one. Is it insufficient? But why did it work stable for 2 weeks then?

Your PSU should be able to support your system, by looking at your specs above, however i do not know how many HDDs you have Cooler system ect. and you might wonna check to see if the fan is running on your PSU aswell make sure that isnt overheating.

Another thing, have you tried to switch the two cards, might be that one of them is defective?

Something I've never been certain about is whether my crossfire actually worked

You might want to start out with only one card, and do a speed test on that, and then add the other one. only way to be really 100% sure that's its adding something to your system.

maybe run a 3D benchmark, and other tests ?

The above is only suggestions, i haven't heard of any problems regarding running quad GPU's.

SinMyriad

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008

The case has a 4 or 5 fans on it, and besides that I have 2 hard disks and 2 DVD-writers.

I tried connecting my monitor to the other card, and it seems to work too. I did however notice that when crossfire is disabled, only 1 out of 4 fans can be manually set (for speed). When crossfire is on I can set 2 out of 4.

I tried testing it with Call of Duty 4, by activating the dual card mode, but it didn't seem to do anything. Then I downloaded FutureMark, which I accidently shut off before completing both tests and now the trial is expired. However, when I ran the first test, some girl escaping or something, the entire screen was filled with artifacts, long white flickering lines. Half the time it was so bad I couldn't even see what was going on.

Is this normal? I'm not familiar with FutureMark, but this doesn't seem very likely. Could it have anything to do with my problem?

optimist

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003
Hmm you should still be within limits of your PSU, however atifacts i usally directly link to problems regarding memory mostly seen when breaking the speed limits on the GPU memory.

Testing the one at the time i would take them out and only have one running at all times ..

But as stated above i think one of the is falty, or the driver simply cant support 2x 4870x2, even though i havnt seen any problems with the 38xx x2