merryme

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
Hello, I am trying to reformat my netbook hard drive after it crashed, I have tried using my OEM win XP disk using an external rom drive, but my netbook is not always recognising the Rom, when it does it loads the usual windows setup files then at the "starting windows" part it just stops and I only have the blue screen and to get out of I have to shut down the machine, somebody said to reformat the drive, but I can't find a way to access the hard drive to a position where I can use the Format C: command. I have tried changing the boot up sequence to no avail i appologise for going on but I am a bit of a Wrinkly and not an expert PC user, any ideas please

you probably need to go to the bios setup and set the external drive as the first boot device, if it has that option, then start over.

you notice that if the C drive is now set as the first boot device, the operating system may not install completely, while installing the system reboots to the wrong drive.
Once the external drive is set as the first device, it might work properly.
To get into your bios setup, it varies according to the manufacturer and model. On some computers you hold down F2 while the computer is powered up. On others you hold down delete key.
One way to find out is to download the full manual (for your model number) from the manufacturer's website, and find the proper key to get into the bios set up.

merryme

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011

Thanks, I have reset the bios to boot from all available options, even copied XP to a USB stick all the options start but stop at the "windows starting" point and a blue screen appears with the usual it has stopped for my benifit. if I boot normally I get a message saying HAL.DLL needs reinstalling, great but if you cannot access C: how can you do that. I am at a complete loss now. Thanks again for the suggestions

merryme

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
it's a Asus eeepc 1005HA I have tried asus support but they were not very helpful, probably because it is out of warranty.

merryme

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
Yes I have tried my external rom and from a USB stick I copied my OS disk to, I thtink with the many ideas given to me and tried I have probably reached a point when I say thank you all for your time, but it will probably go to a PC repairer now

merryme

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
yes it was one of many suggestions, thanks again, I am afraid the"dreaded blue screen seems to be the winner this time.

merryme

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
windows has shut down because of an unknown error, if this is the first time this has happened restart and if reoccurs consult your administrator etc,. it come up with the same comments each time, If only there was a way to get passed the OS into C:

dEAne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
I guess you are unsuccessful in reformatting your hard drive - that drive might be damage. So booting from a USB stick or a Rom drive is not an issue. If in BIOS alone you cannot detect your hard disk then it needs to be replaced first before you can install windows on it.

merryme

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
Thanks dEAne, I appreciate all the ideas sent to me, but as yet none help solve the inability to access C: drive proper, it looks like my local PC shop will be getting some custom, thanks again.

merryme

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
I would love to be able to get to the drive you say, but again I cannot access the C: or the system, even booting in safe mode with command promt I get a message saing "missing HAL.DLL" reinstal file !!! HOW ?? I should perhaps point out I am using another PC to reply to you all. I have no access to any usable part of the drive on the nettook.

xanjiin

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Have you tried using a different Windows XP CD? Also, if you have spare memory lying around, try swapping memory.