Core i7-920 on asrock x58 extreme

mharry860

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
Just great. So I use the easy oc in the bios to go to the lowest possible oc of 3.6, run Prime 95 and go to bed. I get up this morning to a computer that is off and won't turn on. If I press and hold the power button, the diagnostic led will flash zero and that is it. Any ideas?

Solution
umm I've run Prime95 for 10 minutes with no errors, then had errors appear much later. I used to do 20 minute tests, but would find games would crash after about 4 hours of play. Another prime95 run showed an error after 1 hour of success.

If CPU thermal throttling was on, it shouldn't be a heat issue though. If it got too hot it'd throttle back, if it got to the damage point, the CPU would have shutdown. If the heatsink was so bad it couldn't control itself fast enough, it wouldn't have finished the boot sequence. The OP would've needed to disable this on purpose, and would require a slapping. (Edit: keyword "shouldn't" this could still be the case as El_Captain has pointed out)

We also don't know other voltage settings. It is...
auto overclocking is rubbish - you dont know what its doing to the system etc

asrock is also not a brand i would be buying for a high end system either

what are your other system specs? eg PSU brand model, ram video etc

also try resetting the cmos

Korok

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
I have the same setup as you.
Try to clear the CMOS and see if it will boot. (button is on the back panel with the usb connections, etc)
If it boots and you still want to overclock, do it manually.

El_Capitan

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
The ASRock x58 Extreme is a good board, similar to the ECS x58B-A. You're not going to get higher than a 3.6GHz overclock, but for $170 and a board that supports at least 2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 for SLI or Crossfire (abswindows7 doesn't know what he's talking about), you're getting a great deal.

A lot of things can go wrong, but I take it that you're new to overclocking. It's quite possible you:
1. Used stock thermal compound and heatsink causing your temps to skyrocket while leaving your computer running Prime95 overnight without monitoring your temperatures first. In that case, you probably fried your CPU.
2. You used adequate cooling, and not stock thermal compound or a stock heatsink, but you didn't attack the heatsink properly. Same thing as #1, you didn't monitor your temps and let it run overnight.

There's no need to run Prime95 longer than 10 minutes. If there's no errors in 10 minutes, it's not likely you'll get errors in 8 hours. All you're doing is wasting the life of your CPU. For the i7 920, overclocked to 3.6GHz, there won't be any application you'll be running that will put a full load on your CPU for even 10 minutes.

SpidersWeb

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
umm I've run Prime95 for 10 minutes with no errors, then had errors appear much later. I used to do 20 minute tests, but would find games would crash after about 4 hours of play. Another prime95 run showed an error after 1 hour of success.

If CPU thermal throttling was on, it shouldn't be a heat issue though. If it got too hot it'd throttle back, if it got to the damage point, the CPU would have shutdown. If the heatsink was so bad it couldn't control itself fast enough, it wouldn't have finished the boot sequence. The OP would've needed to disable this on purpose, and would require a slapping. (Edit: keyword "shouldn't" this could still be the case as El_Captain has pointed out)

We also don't know other voltage settings. It is possible something has been over-volted too far (which is why we never recommend auto overclocks).

However despite all the CPU talk, I'm still thinking its because you bought an Asrock, I had the same experience with a P45 Asrock, mine still booted however. Changed to a Gigabyte and was amazed at the difference of its ability to overclock at lower voltages and then not die.

Anyway link to the same thing. 3.6Ghz i7, left overnight, dead Asrock next morning:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/263528-30-asrock-extreme-post-needed
Motherboard got RMA'd.
A quick search on google shows a suprising number of 'My Asrock X58 wont boot' posts.

Solution

mharry860

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
Thanks SpidersWeb, yeah I guess I'll try returning it for now and buy something better later. Th real slap in the face was the night it puked was the morning Windows 7 showed up at my door. Thanks again.