need a new case. What do you think?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Hardware
  • Cases
  • Components
Last response: in Components
November 1, 2008 10:30:52 PM

I will be putting the hardware i have into a better case. See hardware in my sig.

I usually buy cheap cases from the local PC shop. This last build was my first real midrange gamer. I used the last generic mid tower case i had. It is ok for 1 vid card, 1 HD, a couple of fans, a few cables and the other normal componants.

Now i have a bigger CPU fan, an 800w psu with all kinds of cables, 2x 2 slot 3870s, 2 HDs, 3 fans and a fan cantroller. The heat is still a problem because of the cramped space. I had to mod the side panel to put the 3rd fan in.

I need suggestions on a bigger and cooler case. I have already looked at a couple, but i wont mention them now, so i don't skew the suggestions.

prefer under $150.

no psu

do i need normal mounted HD mounts or side pull out? benefits of which?

do i need a case with the new 200mm or 250mm fans?

full or mid. Mid needs to be real roomy.

thanks

More about : case

a b ) Power supply
November 1, 2008 10:42:01 PM

If you live in the states, I'd definately wait for black friday. Fry's always has a case nearly free after rebate; sometimes some good antec brand that are last year's model. Best buy has also had a few closeout recently for around $30-40.
November 1, 2008 10:43:59 PM

yeah, that is right. I always pick good deals on black friday. I can live with it for now.

still what brands and models should i look for?
Related resources
November 1, 2008 10:47:07 PM

Antec or Coolermaster is a good brand to go for. Thats what I usually go for. There are a few others but these are my first picks...
November 1, 2008 11:51:15 PM

thermaltake and lian li.
November 2, 2008 12:11:10 AM

I've got 3 computers, running cases by Chieftec Dragon, Antec 900, and Thermaltake Eureka. I've had the Chieftec Dragon for several years and its a great mid tower, fitting a HD 4870 with ease. An example can be found at http://www.atxcases.com/products/productdetails.asp?mai.... With a cost of $75, its a cheap case, yet it does its job well. The only bad part is that it fits 80mm fans instead of the newer 120mm fans.
a c 248 ) Power supply
November 2, 2008 12:45:41 AM

Antec and Coolermaster each have several good cases. As others have suggested, if you can wait until the day after Thanksgiving which is just a few weeks away you should be able to find some real bargains.
November 2, 2008 12:57:31 AM

Lian Li.
a b ) Power supply
November 2, 2008 1:00:23 AM

Coolermaster, Antec , NZXT
November 2, 2008 1:29:04 AM

thanks guys.
!