Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

XFX 790i ultra p07 bios problem

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • BIOS
Last response: in Motherboards
December 3, 2008 2:10:31 PM

Okay, so I've got a big problem since I bought this computer that I thought was going to be pretty awesome and still give me room to upgrade later but now won't do crap. Let me first tell you what i got then I'll explain the problem.

>xfx 790i ultra
>intel q6600
>Patriot PC3 10666 DDR3 (7-7-7-20 1333)
>Two xfx 8600gt XXX

Everything was running good. It would only freeze every once in a while. However, it would always freeze if I tried to benchmark. Nforce tools would never let me overclock or underclock. All this was before I tried to update the bios.

I figured updating would fix these problems. So i burnt a CD and updated to p07 basically from the original bios. Immediately after that when windows would get to the desktop
it would freeze. It has freezed everytime since then. I have adjusted the voltages, no change. I even flashed back to the original bois. Still freezes.

XFX told me I should reload windows and see if that fixes the problem. But I hate to loose everything I got and also I can't just go spend 80 bucks on a new hard drive just to see if that's the problem.

Someone please shine some light on this situation.

More about : xfx 790i ultra p07 bios problem

a b V Motherboard
December 3, 2008 2:24:55 PM

Welcome to the forums!

Run memtest86+ and hard disk diagnostics from the manufacturer.
Try loading in safe mode.
Could be a bad driver or a bad motherboard if problem persists in safe mode.
a b V Motherboard
December 3, 2008 6:34:00 PM

Question: You haven't OC'd right?

I think the issue is the "it only froze a couple of times". Thats my warning light right there.

At this point, your best bet is to re-install windows, especially if you can't get into safe-mode.
Related resources
December 3, 2008 6:52:12 PM

Try reflashing to P06.

I did not like 07 and reverted back to 06.

Also, try "unlinking" the ram/fsb to see if it helps.
December 3, 2008 7:18:37 PM

I can't get into safe mode and I tried removing one stick of ram and then then other to see if that would help and neither helped.

I was trying to avoid restarting windows but I will try that soon if I can't find a solution.

I don't think going back to p06 will help because it was running ok on p01 before I updated to p07 but when I go back to p01 it won't run anymore, and I already tried unlinking. No change
December 3, 2008 7:20:13 PM

One more update. XFX just asked me to send it in so I guess they think its the board. Thanks for your help guys!!!