PhysX setup possible on Xfire?

You should be able to use the 8600 as a PhysX card and the 260 to drive the games image. The cards may run in X8 mode depending on the board, but it should be ok

At current Nvidia has no official driver that i see with PhysX for the 8600. It has been promised and may be in beta. the 260 can do PhysX and game. I am not sure what performance hit there is.

Nuke,i have a question
You said that the OP can run 8600GT and GTX 260 on a same motherboard and use 8600GT as a physX card? how can that be possible? can u explain more ?
thanks

Nvidia has been promising this for a long time.

Since the 8600 can run CUDA apps it can run PhysX by Nvidia(I think that is the answer for your question Maziar). How long will it take Nvidia to implement it? no clue.

At current, Nvidia is releasing different drivers for the GTX 2XX cards with the PhysX support. Kind of makes me wonder.

invisik

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008
its crap. i have 2 gtx260 and i dedicated one for physics and my fps stayed about the same. the drivers arent written to well best to wait and see.

Wasn't mine, it's from the guys over at NGOHQ.

Don't know much about his conflicts, but I have a friend running it on an HD4870 with a GF8600 and he had alot of trouble setting it up (mainly just the nV drivers prefer to be loaded first), but now the only major issue is multi-monitor is pooched, regardless of whether running both from the HD4870 or from the GF8600 or one on each. Considering the immaturity of the HD4870 on Hydravision, and the equal immaturity of the physX drivers, it could be a bunch of stuff. It's funny because when running 3 monitors of the GF8600 without the nV drivers installed everything is fine, so it's obvious that yeah, it's not for everyone just yet, but it was more for him to play with it for UT3 (we both prefer UT2K4 though). Since I play UT with him and a few of our work and school friends, I told him about the NGOHQ results he wanted to try it for himself.
He's thinking of removing the GF8600 though (he usually only run 2 monitors but I brough my extra one to try surround gaming stuff too) simply because it wasn't what he was expecting from PhsyX (I think like most of us he hoped for something that no solution can really deliver yet [bullet drops, heavy interactive effects, etc]). Overall he thinks it's a wicked idea, as do I, but still just not worth the effort of driver cleanup.

Once it gets a little more wide spread and if it ever becomes the core of a major FPS title and get exploited, it's gonna make alot of people think about their setups and do this type of thing (both GTX+8600 & HD4K+8600).

marshmellow1991

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
oh em gee. this sounds epic if the bugs could be worked out. so this is basicaly saying (if i understand this correctly) that we can put in a 4870 for frames, and stick oh say, an nvdia card in the other pcie slot, and run the nvidia card as a physics with cuda?

hmmmmmm

and can u do that for 2 exact cards too? for example have 2x GTX 280 on the same motherboard but run one of them as PhysX?

thanks for the reply :)

invisik

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008
u need open nvidia physx properties go to setting and enable one card for physics. does ur montior have more then 2 video ports? u need to connect 2 ports such as dvi or vga to ur graphic card so it recognizes u have 2 monitors in order to dedicate physics dont no y but its a glitch in vista using 2 connections from ur monitor kinda tricks it in thinking its another monitor. make sure sli is disabled and it should let u select a card for physics in the setting tab.