Heatsink Trouble!!PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!

sunny27

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2007
hi!
i just bought a cooler master hyper 212 plus heatsink for my cpu after reading it supports socket 939(amd).the problem is i can't use it bcoz my asus a8n-e mothebroard has 2 mounting holes instead of the 4 the coolermaster hyper 212 plus requires.
i don't want to overclock my cpu--i want something nice and silent.
can i mount a 92mm fan on my stock heatsink--i have provided pics--there is space for a 92mm fan but the mounting holes on the cpu heatsink are for 80mm fans.
here are the pics-

this is the stock fan made by delta 80mm @ 5200rpm---the bearing in the fan is screwed and is very noisy.

the top view of the heatsink+fan-again notice the free space around the fan

this is another view--notice the free space around the base of the fan.

The Heatsink with a pure copper base without the fan.

please tell me if i can mount a 92mm fan and how?
if not please tell me about any good silent 80mm fan.

Solution
hmm, well why dont you just use the stock HSF and use a 120mm fan on it until you can get the right sized fan. just lay your desktop on its side and set the larger fan on top of you stock hsf. That way you can get done any work you need to.

sunny27

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2007
no the website and all the other sites said it was compatible with the 939 boards--my asus a8n-e is a 939 and it is not compatible with it!!!!!!!!!!!
am not dumb to buy stuff without checking the compatibility!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
should sue coolermaster for this!!!!!!!!!!!!
btw how do i mount the 120 mm fan??

Hmmmm...... I just took a look at FrostyTech.com. On the top 5 page it is listed as an Intel cpu heatsink. Then I took a look at their technical review where it is listed as both Intel and AMD compatible. The mounting holes are pre-set for Intel LGA1156 hole spacing.

According to FrostyTech.com:

"The heatsink is supplied with a crab-like rear-motherboard metal support bracket that accommodates every variation of CPU socket and a metal 'switch-blade' clip that applies force to the heatsink baseplate. Associated screws and nuts to put it all together, along a small amount of thermal compound round out the accessory list."

Here is a link to the review with more information:

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2419

NOTE - They were definitely able to mount it on an AMD platform. I used the original HYPER 212 in an AMD platform last year. I didn't have any problems.

sunny27

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2007
the exclamations are because of the fact that i can't use my desktop--the fan isn't working and i need to use vmware and php and a few more resource intensive software like illustrator for some urgent work..
and i am using my netbook-acer d150.
i am very grateful to everyone for the help!
please keep it coming!!
(my new job is on the line--am on probation for a couple of months!)

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
hmm, well why dont you just use the stock HSF and use a 120mm fan on it until you can get the right sized fan. just lay your desktop on its side and set the larger fan on top of you stock hsf. That way you can get done any work you need to.

Solution

sunny27

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2007
@johny lucky -- the old hyper 212 was compatible with s939 not this new one.

usually in the am2/am3 boards you have four mounting holes in the motherboard and don't know abt s939 but some boards have have 4 mounting holes.my board has just 2 and 4 mounting holes are a must to mount the pins of the heatsink after you've replaced the motherboard's backplate.

regarding the 120mm fan-have a coolermaster blademaster 120mm - i can't get it to sit on my stock heatsink.

sunny27

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2007
hey! thanks a lot for everything overshocked!
am new to all this and must thank everyone else here too!
finally managed to sell the cm 212 hyper plus at a profit!
btw what would be better a 80mm to 120mm fan adapter or a 80mm to 92mm fan adapter?
what would cool better ? displace more air and have silent cooling?
i've decided to order fan adapters from sidewindercomputers.com